• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Contractions well Spearing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

JPPLAY

Student Spearfisherman
Apr 7, 2005
How deep have you been and had contractions? Did you blackout? Do you have a limit how deep you can be when you get a contraction? How much time and how much depth can you cover when you get them?

I think it all depends on the individual's diving ability. I come up after the first contraction I get, if not sooner. I usually dont have a buddy watching me so I try to be safe.
But to actually answer your question, I have been 100 feet and got a contraction, I didn't black out. I don't know how far I am actually able to go after I have had a contraction, because I never want to push it enough to find out.

try to stay away from them when im deep, will come up at the first one, in shallower water (20 feet or so) i dont worry about them as much, but will still come up after about 5 or so, at home i allways do some dry statics, especially when i havnt been in the water for a few days, it makes me feel a bit more comfortable knowing i can still go for another minute at least when i feel the first one

Make sure you don't forget that on a static you're not moving. Moving around (such as swimming to the top) is burning up more of your oxygen, giving you less time. I think I remember reading here that for a lot of people about 40% of a static hold is done with contractions (I know some people don't even get them, and others may be able to tolerate more). But usually when spearfishing you are sort of mixing dynamic and static apnea. You swim down and hopefully back up (dynamic), and you lie still and wait at the bottom (static). So I wouldn't really recommend going just by how much time you can push through contractions during statics, because you aren't likely to get quite that much time and you don't want to cut it close.

Wow, that's too bad, they're really fun. If you really want to experience a max static you need someone to punch you in the stomach progressively faster for the last couple minutes.
Nah, they're not that bad. But I have read on here that a lot of people try really hard to surpress them. Aren't they beneficial, otherwise they wouldn't occur?
By the way, Amphibious, if you do get one while spearfishing I would start considering a trip to the surface, but thats just me:)

have done 3min dives to 90ft and still never had one. body says go up, I go up. before I started getting involved with this board thats how I thought everyone was.

punch in the stomach? sounds like something I'm glad to do without :D

I’ve never waited for the first contraction before I went up. Never experienced one underwater, only while doing static tables in front of the PC :)
A thing to be considered is what would you do if a huge fish swims just in front of your spear tip when you already had your first contraction? Would you shoot and begin a fight when you are obviously running out of oxygen??? And remember that the adrenalin rush can easily mix up your perceptions.
The guys I learned spearfishing from taught me to wait about 1:30 to 2 minutes max. If a fish doesn't show up in two minutes I have most probably done something wrong and is useless to stay longer. That’s of course a beginners advise :)

Dobs said:
The guys I learned spearfishing from taught me to wait about 1:30 to 2 minutes max. If a fish doesn't show up in two minutes I have most probably done something wrong and is useless to stay longer. That’s of course a beginners advise :)

Very good advice. I find a lot fo the fish I shoot are while I'm on my way up.

i wish i could go 3 mins without contractions.. actually i wouldnt mind 2 minutes underwater without contractions, ah well, progress is steady but slow :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT