• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

conversion to roller vs adding another band

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Andrew the fish

Oct 17, 2010
I have 90cm inexpensive sling speargun. It is something called XDive, I don't see them anywhere online, honestly it is a low end stuff. I am heading to Thailand in December, and there I will need something to reach out farther than my usual 6 feet, and penetrate bigger fish. I have therefore a dilemma, should I add another band, or plunge into single-band roller conversion? Or should I just buy another gun altogether? Money-wise, adding one more band is the cheapest way to go. Conversion to roller will be double the price of what I paid for the whole gun in first place (70 euros), close to the price of decent two-banded 90cm gun.

Hi
Before modification u should know how many Ib trigger can take ,if its cheap trigger and hold single band u may overloaded by your new set up it can misfire or heavy sear release ,usually your spear is diameter is 6 mm its match with 16mm single rubber or 18mm if u want more power 290%,if u hunt big fish u should think about bending your spear by strong fish and u ll need spare also .

Sent from my SM-A320F using Tapatalk

Reactions: foxfish
Also ... adding a roller head can really make a gun muzzle heavy, although some are lighter than others.
Adding an extra band can add power but also upset the accuracy, buying a new gun might avoid extreme disappointment if you miss that fish of a life time!

will roller set up work with notched shaft? Or does it need shark fins? I sourced all the parts for roller conversion, it runs roughly into 240$. That is without buying shark-finned replacement shaft. I wonder if I can get away with notches or not.

Roller conversion is expensive, more than I thouhgt it will be. But I figure, at some point I will do it anyway, why not now. My understanding is that roller conversion will not add much more load to the trigger mechanizm. In this regard it is better than adding another band.

will roller set up work with notched shaft? Or does it need shark fins? I sourced all the parts for roller conversion, it runs roughly into 240$. That is without buying shark-finned replacement shaft. I wonder if I can get away with notches or not.

Roller conversion is expensive, more than I thouhgt it will be. But I figure, at some point I will do it anyway, why not now. My understanding is that roller conversion will not add much more load to the trigger mechanizm. In this regard it is better than adding another band.

I can't answer all of that questions but I can say for me using local shops 250$ is enough to make a small iroko or mahogany 90 cm beefy one with 2\3 rubbers , can handle 6.5 to 8 mm spear,I won't go for roller as I am not comfortable to that high rubber stretch value and muzzle kick if u not accurately adjust your wishbone length and rubber slide behind the wheel ,for notch spear or finned I think u should use fin otherwise the wishbone in the end of the stroke will raised up and also contact area with notch raised so low shoot will be the results ,may be this wrong so try first to practice aiming before travelling to know if everything is ok or no by the way XDIVE is online in some Greece websites

Reactions: Andrew the fish
I can't answer all of that questions but I can say for me using local shops 250$ is enough to make a small iroko or mahogany 90 cm beefy one with 2\3 rubbers , can handle 6.5 to 8 mm spear,I won't go for roller as I am not comfortable to that high rubber stretch value and muzzle kick if u not accurately adjust your wishbone length and rubber slide behind the wheel ,for notch spear or finned I think u should use fin otherwise the wishbone in the end of the stroke will raised up and also contact area with notch raised so low shoot will be the results ,may be this wrong so try first to practice aiming before travelling to know if everything is ok or no by the way XDIVE is online in some Greece websites
http://www.xdive.gr/xdive-products-en.html?sfid=135&csfid=460&product=1340#.WdHVpmiCzIU

Contact me on facebook. Ive just starting selling high quality speargun products and ive gotten prices to be competative (cheaper or equal) with the big online stores, also my shipping is cheaper too. Ive got just the product for you to help you with rollergun setups. Contact me via email lawstraljan16@live.com or add my facebook page Impetus Dive Gear

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT