• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Conversion

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Geoff

Apr 15, 2007
Hi everyone, Long time no speak. You may remember that I bought an ASSO, 135 awhile back. Well, totally disapointed, what a load of CRAPP!. No power,(even though I pump'd it to 24 Bar (acurate), the shaft moved in Sloooow motion, incidentaly, the one that came with the gun was of ordinary stainless steel, it bent when I treid to load it, cheap crapp. So,(& you may think, "Here we go again") I`ve decided to "Convert" it to a Band Gun.I've just started & will keep you informed,I will take photo's, ( If anyone's interested).

Hi Geoff, I don't have a pneumatic gun but many forum members rave about them, particularly the Mamba kit (apparently makes them quieter and more powerful). I think Asso are quite popular. Surprised that it is not powerful. Some of the Med.-based members, like Spaghetti or Ulysses, or Foxfish in Guernsey might be able to offer suggestions. Somebody, Ulysses I think, recently mentioned that pneumatic guns generally come with rubbish spears that should be replaced. He also posted an Italian link on tuning pneumatic guns (lots of tips) -- you might want to try using the Search facility on the menu bar above.

Last edited:
Hi Mr.X, & thank's for the info. It's too late, I've already started. The thing was, I just could'nt get on with the gun as a Pnumatic, I accept that many I000`s of people can, & good luck to them!, I actually damaged my shoulder loading this thing, to the point of not being able to load it without the use of my "Easy Loader", the design of which I posted a few month's ago, this work'd great, but the gun was too slow for me, so I've decided to go back too a "Band Gun", but now, I'm left with a painfull shoulder, something that I hope wont stop me from loading a Band Gun, as the force to load it is divided between "Both" arm's. I wanted to "Convert" this gun, so as to keep the Grip,(which I re-work'd to a better angle) & the Trigger Mechanism, which, if i'm right, will easily take one 20mm band, & maybe, two, if need be. I've stripped this gun down, & the design of the "Catch" that hold's the piston under great pressure, seem's to be good & strong. I made the mistake of adding another "Band" to a previouse Band gun, & the trigger mech fail'd, as it was'nt designed to take that much "Force", but this one will, & still be smooth. Now, I now what you'r all thinking,"The Inner & Outer tube's wont be able to take the stress of the Band's, it'll "Flex & Bend" ", well, I've given this a lot of thought, as I'm going to make matter's worse by, "Milling" a 2.5mm wide slot, along nearly the whole lengh of the gun, through the top of both tube's, including the "Nozzle". I'll keep you all posted,...Geoff.

Last edited:
in my opinion i dont think 24 bar is enough for a 135, but then again loading a 135 with full pressure applied which i think would definately be over 35 bar which is the maximum for my cyrano 110 would be a very difficult and mostly annoying requirement while spearfishing, seriously you would have to be like 7 ft tall to load that thing comfortably with maximum bar

Hi Geoff, Do I understand that you have cut into your pneumatic in order to mount rubber slings? Why not use the airgun to hunt around debris and coral? And as far as using the 'crappy' mild steel spearshafts, they are perfect to shoot into pier pilings :blackeye I even make my own 'homemade' shafts from springsteel 'tensioner rods' that were used to hold up the trunk lid on cars from the 1960s and 1970s. :cool: "Good God Man, Lets Hunt"

Hi QuIck ShOT, Yes, you're right!, this is a VERY difficult gun to load, &, not being very fast, it's just not worth the effort.The manual deos not recomend pumping over 20 Bar,(whatever the length) this gun will fail at any thing over 31 Bar, the "Out side" tube will rupture, it's diameter, & wall thickness just can't take the pressure of more than around 31 Bar.People who "Pump" this make of gun to around 28/29 bar, are sitting on a time bomb, if the ambient temperature is hot, this will cause the air inside it to expand, & as it has no where to go, the pressure will increase untill the barrel distort's, or, Explode's!.
Hi slingshaft, No, the slot (along the length of the gun) is it give the gun a "Channel" for the shaft, which will have a peice of metal on the end of it, to enable the Band's to "Hook" onto. Bye for now, .....Geoff.

Last edited:
hi im sorry you could not get along with your asso.i have one and i love it.i think it is very important for some one who just bought an air gun to be showed by some one who already knows how to load this things.you need to use bouth hands,one holding the shaft in your hand and the other the loader and use your whole budy not only your arms.what slingshaft said about the trunk of american cars it is a great idea,they are great they were used in cuba for many many years and very dificult to find the only problen is that they are 9mm whish its great but you wont be able to get it in your gun.youl need to dril the bocala amortizzo so that the shaf fits.i hope you guys underestand the mess i have nade if dont sell me the gun.i will meke some one happy with it.

alecrin, Hi, Glad to hear that you're happy with your Gun, I'm shure that many people are, unfortunately, I was'nt. I thought the problem with the "Speed" of the shaft, was due to it being so long & heavy, so I made my own. I used a length of 10mm aluminium tube, & inserted a 600mm length of 8mm stainlesss steel into the front of it, so to give it some weight, & stiffness, this weighed much less than the original one. Also, as it was a bigger diameter than the steel one, so it displaced much more water in the barrel, so there was less water to be pushed out by the piston, I even drilled more hole's in the nozzel, to allow what water there was, to be pushed out quicker, I also drilled out the front of the nozzel to take the 10mm alu shaft. all this to no avail, it still move in "Slow Motion".... Geoff. I do have some part's of this gun to give to any one who may need them, The power reducer, The valve to pump it up by. if any one want's these, & some other "Bit's", Free! let me know....Geoff.

Sorry Geoff

'Converting' an airgun into a band-gun is absolute nonsense, ... unless we are talking about the therapeutic benefits of DIY as such rofl

Cheers, ulysses

Hi ULYSSES, But why? I have nearly all need to make my own Bandgun, with this. I have a very good "Grip", a very good "Trigger", a really nice guide, (with the Inside Barrel) & the length, at 135mm, is perfect for me. The only problem I had, was with the "Stiffness" of the "Inside/Outside" barrel's, but I have resolved that. When it's finish'd, I will be absolutely honest & say if it work's well, or is a heap of crapp, just like it was before!. Of cource, this "Conversion" is'nt for everyone, one has to have the skill, & insight to make it work, (No disrespect Ulysses)....Geoff.

Geoff,

assuming you will resolve the plethora of technical difficulties of your project your 'airbalete' will be heavy like an anvil. The good thing: you can remove some weight from your belt! rofl

Have fun!

Cheers, ulysses

Will do. I thought of takeing them from start, to finish, but now I'll just show the "End Product".

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT