• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Cooking fish by pooring hot oil over it?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Leander

Oct 17, 2017
The other thread of Cantonese style fish reminded me of something I once read online but unfortunately the article only side-mentioned it and didn't go in depth. Could've been here actually...

It's about cooking fish by pooring blazingly hot oil over it. Apparently something done in certain Asian cuisines. Perhaps someone has experience with this and can describe it?

There are so many ways to cook a fish and I need to try them all. :)

I haven't heard of such a method. I only know how to cook fish in oil.

The process of gently cooking it in liquid at temperatures below boiling point. It is a classic French technique. Traditionally, fish broth is taken as the liquid in which fish is cooked. Fish that has been cooked in it turns out very tasty, light, and tender.

There is another variant - the fish is not cooked in broth but is stewed in olive oil. In this case, the fish is immersed in a mold, in which the pre-poured olive oil. The form is put in the oven, and the fish is stewed at a low temperature until it is completely cooked. The fish turns out incredibly tender and fragrant. The advantages of poaching fish compared to cooking on the face. Of course, the fresher the fish, the better its flavor and aroma will be.

No I haven't. I kinda forgot about it myself. Just did another google on the topic, and this time it seemed more successful.

Steamed fish, finished by pouring hot oil over it

This recipe talks about steaming the fish, and finishing it by pouring smoking hot oil over it, to burn the taste of the greens and spices on top of the fish into the fish's skin. I think this must be what I was remembering. If I see how much time it takes to pan-fry a fish or even to deep-fry one, just pouring oil as the only action wouldn't be enough.

The recipe looks promising though. I tried a few of the Asian ways to prepare fish, and they definitely know what they're doing and are far ahead of the west.

Perhaps, if I manage to collect some courage to brave the cold winter sea I might give it a try.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT