• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

cooking sole for the mrs tonight, any suggestions?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Marwan

Gear Buying addict
Supporter
Sep 3, 2005
hey all,
found some nice skinned sole fillets in my freezer, decided to cook them tonight for my pregnant wife...im also making shrimp risotto..
any ideas for the sole, we're not really big fans of fried fish... im thinking of grilling them with some butter then addidng a parsley, onions, tomato maybe even olive oil marinade...
any ideas are welcome, i already have the fish fillets marinaded woth some salt,pepper and lemon and in the fridge, with like 5 hours or so to spare before cooking begins....
come on, i need those brownie points :)

cheers

any ideas are welcome.... [snip] come on, i need those brownie points :)

May your brownie points earned tonight be a hundredfold your DB rep! :)
Dinner sounds good, I am sure your wife and baby-to-be will appreciate it!

Suggestion: only dinner song for you to sing would have to be: "O Sole Mio"
icon10.gif

Have a great night tonight!

Reactions: Marwan
Suggestion: only dinner song for you to sing would have to be: "O Sole Mio"
icon10.gif

Have a great night tonight!

rofl rofl
thanks Jeanette

where's old man dave or foxfish, i know they catch a lot of sole/flounder

Last edited:
I had a delicious lemon sole in a seafood restaurant in Looe a year or two ago. Being fresh, they just cooked it in butter & served with slices of lemon. I was expecting it to be bland - but was pleasantly surprised by how tasty it was. Not sure if that will work as well with frozen fish [...watching the trawler men on TV this week, they soak the fish with water-ice as soon as possible, to get a quick & thorough freeze], the taste probably deteriates so you might need a few more ingredients (those you mention sound good).

where's old man dave or foxfish, i know they catch a lot of sole/flounder

Just what I was thinking!:D Really should make an effort to get a flatty or two this year.:hmm

With frozen fillets I always throw them on top of fresh parsley to take the freezer zing out, but your marinade sounds on point and I'm sure you'll have brownies in the bank when it's done.....

ok Mission Accomplished, i remain the king of the house :)
i put some butter in the pan on high heat unil it started bubbling, i then lowered the heat to medium and placed the fillets (skinned) 2-3 minties each side and they were already a golden brown.. after the fish was done i had some leftover shrimps from the risotto, on the pan they went with diced totaoes, onions, 2 cloves of garlic and some olive oil , salt, pepper and a litle fennel seeds... high heat until the prawns turned reddish, onto the fish they go, i garnished the plate with some parsley and lemon slies for my signature four seasons presentation :) we had some shrimp risotto on the side, my wife is still smiling :)
cheers
maytag, forgot about the singing, maybe ill sing here to bed :)

Reactions: spaghetti
Sorry mate, I only just read your post, seems like you didn't need me anyhow :)
Sole is an interesting fish to cook, my preference would be goujons. Sole vermonique cooked whole with grapes is a classic but not my favourite. I just like boneless fillets, so I would fillet & skin the fish, cut into small prawn size pieces, coat in egg & bread crumbs then shallow fry in olive oil. Not the healthiest way but sole deserves to be enjoyed! Anyhow the interesting thing about sole is the nature in which the flesh tends to curl up when heated. Very frustrating if you leave you cooking post for within a blink of an eye the fillet does a 180 degrees twist!!

Reactions: spaghetti
Well done Marwan, it seems you don't really need any help in the kitchen. I'm just curious about the risotto, an italian word. Do you cook it talian style, or is there a specific egyptian recipe?

hey spago, it was cooked italian style, even the risotto itself was italian "riso scotti" :) it was bellisimo :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT