• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Cornwall Spots?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Toby Jones

May 12, 2014
hey all, im a spearer from torquay, south devon, and was wondering where in cornwall has the most consistent vis and fish. south devon dosent have much to offer apart from hundreds of wrasse, small pollock an the occasional dog fish, i want to get more south into cornwall this season and pick up some game fish! any recommendations?

Hi Toby,

I have considered a variety of responses to your post -one of which was to say nothing and take cruel amusement at the thought of you travelling between Torbay and South Cornwall and back due to believing South Devon doesn't have much to offer in the way of fish.

You don't have to do too much research on this forum to find that plenty of us do rather well across South Devon - so my advice is to read through the numerous threads, learn, practice and reap the rewards.

I take it from your post that you're not interested in shooting wrasse anymore - that's good to hear but perhaps you could consider removing your you tube footage of spearing wrasse in Torquay, which does nothing for the reputation of spearfishing and sets a bad example for those who know no better? The vast majority of us catch only to eat whilst observing minimum species sizes to ensure sustainability - all of this runs through most threads on the forum. Quite rightly this is the expected norm.

If you're not coming across the fish here - you're unlikely to come across the fish there. Get better - get fish, it worked for me.

If you carry on down to South Cornwall, have fun. I'll stay local and eat well:)

D.

The search box will return all sorts of info Toby.....some of it going back well over a decade....its plenty of homework but once you add to your dive experiences and travels then you will join the dots quickly.

Attachments

• db search.jpg
    db search.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 158
Where are you diving? My advice is to try the shallows. Scrape your belly over the rock at high tide in stealth mode. Also try string weed beds and always check under rocks and in holes.

Reactions: pgg blaster
You are spot on there are no good fish in Devon. Anyone travelling down are best staying on the A30 for a bit longer and hitting the Cornwall reefs.

In all seriousness good luck. Travelling to new areas and exploring new spots is natural. Why do I walk miles across fields? Scramble down cliffs? To have to hike all my gear back out again? My walk out of some spots has almost finished me off! Explore and have fun doing it. Fingers crossed for some big silver!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT