• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Correct way to dispatch a fish?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

fishbone

Sep 26, 2010
Once iv speared a fish, exactly what is the cleanest and most humane way to dispatch a fish??

I brain mine with the stringer and then remove the gills which also bleeds the fish out.
I reckon getting the blood out helps with the flavour of the fish when it comes to eating.

Grey mullet can be problematic. Like chickens & frogs, it appears that much of the brain involved in movement is in (probably the upper) spinal column, rather than the brain. Consequently after you "brain them" (with a small awl/iki jimi spike or spearo dagger), they will often continue to move (one forum member reckons this will happen even if you cut their head off). For them, the gill rip and or another stab further down the spine might help stop further movement.

Mike the Headless chicken lived almost 2 years without a head (mentioned on BBC's QI): [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_the_Headless_Chicken]Mike the Headless Chicken - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Reactions: foxfish
I brain mine with the stringer and then remove the gills which also bleeds the fish out.
I reckon getting the blood out helps with the flavour of the fish when it comes to eating.

yes getting the blood out makes a big difference in taste, if you leave the blood in the fish then it gets all bruised and it doest taste that good so always take out the blood of the fish ;)

When fishing with a rod, the easiest method was by placing forefinger and index fingers in either side gills and breaking it's neck backwards (if you can call it a neck). Very efficient

When fishing with a rod, the easiest method was by placing forefinger and index fingers in either side gills and breaking it's neck backwards (if you can call it a neck). Very efficient

Indeed that works well if you don't have a dive knife or anything to brain :naughty but it won't work on anything over 2Kg unless you are the hulk rofl

rofl

Attention to detail is not my fortè :girlie

Very true! Wrestling with a Tuna in open sea isn't where I want to be.

surely the most humane way to kill a fish is to sneak up behind it, and cover its mouth with a hankerchief soaked in clorafil till unconcious then administer a lethal injection this obviously causes the minimum trauma to the fish!!!

peace

Reactions: badlander
Indeed that works well if you don't have a dive knife or anything to brain :naughty but it won't work on anything over 2Kg unless you are the hulk rofl
Could be a problem for deep-bodied smaller fish, like trigger fish and wrasse too. But it works ok for mackerel.

yeti bites their heads before he gets them to the surface.

it happens! No idea where is heard this bit some spearos bite the back of the heads on smaller fish to kill them

I seem to remember Yeti telling me he has no problems swallowing whole fish up to a couple of KG.
He says - as long as the fish goes down head first it will reach his stomach acids in seconds & stops kicking withing a minute or two.
Apparently the only time this has failed to work was when he forgot to remove the spear!
The spear got lodged in his throat before it folded in half & went down but it never came back out the other end which has confused him somewhat?
However this technique is one that Yeti does not recommend for eels, he says you wont get any nourishment as the eels seem to survive for days until they eventually re emerge - he found one under his pillow one morning!

Reactions: azapa
pmsl rofl rofl guys! not fair! I scale em first :) eels are definitely a problem! they produce sooo much slime if you try and fart too hard in the morning you find more than the eel in your bed :(

.......but a quick nip to the back of the nappa does sort them fish out quick. Not sure about humane but its quick. :)

......I found the spear too......you would NOT belieeeeeeeeve the agony! :waterwork :naughty rofl

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT