• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Correction on Mako Spearguns

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Mar 22, 2009

Hey Guys,

There is apparently some confusion regarding our guns.

The Mako railguns are produced by the same factory that produces the Rabitech guns. Other than a slight modification I made to my closed muzzles to accept pinned tabs and sharkfin tabs, they are the same guns.

Mako Spearguns has the license to sell the guns in the USA.
Rabitech has the license to sell the guns in SA, NZ and Australia.

Someone recently stated that our guns are made in China.

MAKO guns are NOT made in China.

Rabitech guns are NOT made in
China.

All Mako and Rabitech guns are produced and will continue to be produced at the same factory that has produced the guns since their entry into the market years ago.

The relationship between Rabitech, Mako Spearguns and the original manufacturer is very beneficial for all parties. Increased production has lowered manufacturing costs, resulting in the same high quality products at very affordable prices.

In closing, I again wish to thank all the guys on DeeperBlue who have become Mako Spearguns customers. I also wish to thank those on DeeperBlue that have offered such kind words of encouragement. THANKS GUYS!

Dive safe,

dano

Reactions: Mr. X and jimy286
Hey Jimy286,
Thanks for the feedback. I would have had the short guns sooner, but I did not have the shafts for the short guns. I am currently getting my shafts from Rob Allan. I buy them at wholesale from Mike at Florida Freedivers. Mike is a great guy and takes good care of me like he does with all his customers. In fact, I expect our gear to soon be available at his store. I am also an authorized reseller of the Rob Allan Slip Tube shafts. So, if you get a Mako Railgun and on the flopper, it says, "Rob Allan", you will know why.
Thanks again,
dano

I saw on the site for the shafts and the pin tabs on gun that are 130cm and larger is there any way i can get a 3rd pin tab on a shaft for 110cm gun or 150cm shaft?

Also I am very pleased to hear that your guns are not made in China, as many in other forums speculated they were when the whole article from samura was posted on spearboard.

I am not a fan of the guns due to my commitment to Rob Allen however, I do enjoy most of the gear Mako offers. Compared to the competition it looks very fair (hopefully it lasts) I personally like the neoprene repair patches for the wetsuits!. I also like the wetsuits but, I would like to see them sell in pieces as well not to many people do that, and since you guys are some what different it would not be a bad idea if you consider it. Top and Bottom or a wetsuit as a whole. {Just an opinion not a critique}

I hope the company finds a place in the spearfishing community and continues to prosper.

Last edited:
Hey Armandozx,

Currently, I don't have a 3rd pin on my 150cm shafts (for 110 gun), however, that would be a good idea. I put the 3rd tab on the shafts for my 130 and 140 guns so they could be used as a resting tab for people with injuries or shorter arms. I know some guys are using the third tab for a 3rd 14mm band. Armandozx, I thank you for bringing this to my attention. This is what I love about this sport. I see you are a Rob Allan guy and I appreciate your commitment to Rob Allan and to the quality associated with Rob Allan products.

Regarding the thread that you mentioned on the other forum posted by sumora, I too saw that post. I am a firm believer in the saying, "Civility is the oil that lubricates the engine of society". Therefore, I did not respond. In time, all who saw that post will know the truth.

Regarding selling the 2 piece suits as seperates, that too is a good idea. I often have guys that would benefit by buying one size farmer johns and another size jacket/hood. Again, I appreciate the feedback. Because I have only been in business for about 10 weeks now, I do not have a sales history, or barometer if you will, to determine which sizes would be most requested.

Thanks again Armandozx.

dive safe,
dano

Do you supply the Composite Fibre Fin blades on there own as i already have Dessault foot pockets?

Cheers John

Hi Dano,
Where are Makos made? Any chance you will be selling them in/to the UK? I've started name-checking Mako along with other popular brands (Rob Allen, Rabitech, Orcas, Hammerhead, Pelaj, etc.) in discussions on railguns. Good luck! (Real nice website ;)).

Reactions: spaghetti
Mr. X ......... its been a while, i belive the mako spearguns are made in the dive factory, where RA, Rabi, & others are made as well. However, I am not 100% on this, there is such a veriaty of products that they sell that I wasn't aware off.

Damn! $9.99 for SS wishbone inserts! thats crazy scubas world sells the set @ $25 on-line and perharps more if you go in person to buy them, they pull of things like that when i have been there.

I heard [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiwan"]Taiwan[/ame] - in which case I understand the "not China" comment. I see Orcas (& others) offer plastic inserts. Stainless is nice but I'm thinking lighter & quieter might be better. Could probably make them out of something:hmm. I guess Pastor's bead + thick dyneema loops (or just knotted dyneema loops) linked by dyneema is as good as anything.

Still looking for a good, slim, flat spearing dagger. Managed to make a couple of decent iki spikes now though.

I am not aware of any noise that the ss wishbones inserts might produce. I have never used them so I cant say they do and to what degree the noise might be if any. I am pretty sure that the gun it self makes a louder sound when fired than the wishbones inserts. However, if they hit any part of the gun I would assume the noise would be very noticeable due to the force behind it.

I would not go with the plastic inserts unless they are thick enough something tells me that over time they might just get damage with all that force exerted on them ( over time of course. )

I do like the loops on the bands though I use that system with the notch shaft and it is the best for band life since you only have to change wishbone strips and your bands do not need to be retied!

Mr. X btw I added another Rob Allen to my collection =D 110 Carbon Zulu with 7.1 pin tab shaft! it's what I thought it would be! Grade A+ product

Hey Mr. X,
Thanks for the inquiry. Our guns are made in Daniels factory in Taiwan. He is a very talented guy and he is very proud of his Taiwanese herritage. He saw some of the posts about the China thing and started emailing me right away. I believe he engineered some medical devices at one time before he got into manufacturing spearguns. His wife works closely with him and he is teaching his daughters the business. He is truly a hard worker and a good man.
I am currently working on a dealer price list and I am most interested in establishing a relationship with a dealer in the UK. Right now I custom make each gun according to the customers specifications (barrel length, muzzle type, band configuration, reel or no reel, break away rig or standard rig, ect). I am working on a program whereby my selected dealers will be able to offer the same options to their customers. This value added service, I feel, is important to the customer. This way, the customer gets exactly what he wants.

Hey Glow worm,
Thanks to you too for your inquiry regarding our fins. Right now, I only have complete fins (blades and foot pockets). However, I just finished producing the molds for 4 sizes of foot pockets and the mold for the blades. I will soon offer the fins complete as well as just the foot pockets and just the blades. I should have them in about 9 weeks.

Thanks again guys for you hospitality over hear on DeeperBlue.

dano

Reactions: glowworm
Hi Dano,

Welcome to DB.:friday

A question on the Mako fins. Are the blades angled?

Cheers/Safe diving,

Hey Chris,
Our current blades with H. Dessault foot pockets do not have the heel hangle. However, our new fins (coming soon) do indeed have the bent heel design.
Thanks for asking.
dive safe,
dano

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT