• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Cortez Banks

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Ikanuba

Aug 8, 2007
Hey Everyone

Does anyone have any information on freediving / spearfishing and bug hunting the Cortez Banks. I was wondering what the water temp is like and if you can actually freedive the spot or do you need to use gear?

Thanks...

Ikan

I'm actually going on a trip there in early October with Horizon Charters out of San Diego. I think water temp this time of the year is around 65-68. They tell me that getting lobsters by just freediving is a bit of a challenge as during the day they hole up under ledges and crevices.

Spearfishing is excellent with lots of yellowtail this time of the year; June seems to be the month for white seabass. Apparently some of the scuba guys will swap bugs for any yellowtail you might spear.

Getting to Cortes Bank is typically a 50/50 proposition. It is subject to stormy weather and 10+ ft waves are not uncommon. The fallback destination on any trip is the Southern Channel Islands. I went on a trip back in June on we couldn't get to CB and ended up at San Clemente.

Horizon Charters is a first-rate operation that is very spearo-friendly. I believe they have some open spots left in the October trips. Look them up at: horizoncharters.com

Also do a CB search on Wikipedia, it has some interesting info.

Hope you can make it out there.

Gary

I just got back from Cortez Bank and you better plan on scuba if you want lobster. I spent two days there freediving and most of the time we were in 35' plus of water. While there are some shallower spots if there is any swell there is extreme surge and a lot of current in general. From what I have heard the lobster there is not A+. When I asked the dive boats guys I was with if it was any good for lobster they said "no, it has been fished out" by who was my question and they laughed and said "us". It is a cool spot to dive but if it's not on you wasted ten hours getting there. If you want lobster the Islands hold much better areas, and if one area sucks it's just a short hop to the next spot. Now after all that I have seen pics of nice lobster coming out of the bank. But I also see more pics of lobster coming from the islands. Good luck and post a report.

Hey Guys

Thanks for the info... I really appreciate it. Since it's been about 8 years since I've done any diving with equipment, I'm definately going to be just free diving. I heard that it can be sort of rough out there, and guessin i'm gonna need a 5mm suit with a hoodie?

Since it's my boss renting the boat, and it's almost free it should still be a decent trip even if I don't really dive for the bugs.

Any other information you might have let me know. I'll post a report when I get back and throw up some pics as well.

Have a good one!
Ikan

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT