• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

cracking 3

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

holdown

Sep 9, 2005
I've been spearing for about four years now. Dedicated to the point of undermining more "legit" elements of my life. I have good technique and can dive to just over 70ft and close to 2.5 minutes. Most of my hunting is in 40ft water and my avg. time is 1:30-1:45. My best dives are when stacks of fish are schooling and my attention is theirs. I understand the dangers of diving over 2.5 but am a bit vexed that after this time and focus I still have not cracked 3 minutes. I realize lung capacity is set from youth and i'm 37. Is it tech, pysch or phys. Any ideas. Mahalo P.s. how much of a downside is it that I have to use my hand ala frenzel to clear when seeking more depth and time?

I've been spearfishing for 12yrs now. Although I can break 3mins I rarely have a usefor it. I cut my dives short for a reason, if on the way up I see something I want it gives a reserve time to deal with it. if you push you dives to the limit your margine for error and "what if" time is gone.

afraid thats not much help. your biggest issue will be using your hand to clear. that has serious hydrodynamic complications when you're trying to spend longer at depth.

Hi Holdown,
Congratulations!Believe me ,you are not so bad

I have been spearfishing for 30 years.Unfortunately I havent a dive buddy.
With a buddy I would be more courageous.........
I go usually to 30m,lately I began going to 40m.My apnea in the sea is 3 min sometimes more.
I use only Vasalva method
My static apnea is 5 min
If you want to improve your apnea and depth,dive as often as you can
It needs only practice
Good luck

Andy
wwww.qsl.net/sp9hzx

Last edited:
Hi holddown,

You are doing way better than me. Just be very careful, you are up in BO territory. On the specific question of lung capacity, it is not all that fixed. There probably is some max value for each person, but most divers are nowhere near that max. Stretching, pack/stretching and intense diving all can increase lung capacity. Mine goes up not quite a liter when I'm working on it. It goes back real fast, so it takes constant practice.

Connor

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT