• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Cressi Gara 3000 LD fins for Scuba?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ikravchik

May 23, 2012
Hi,

I am just starting out in scuba diving. I have Mares full foot Super Channel fins. ( I dive in warm water) [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Mares-Avanti-Superchannel-9-5-10-5-10-5-11-5/dp/B000V75Z16/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1337795946&sr=1-3fins"]Amazon.com: Mares Superchannel Full Foot Scuba Fins: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41eYT-Dx72L.@@AMEPARAM@@41eYT-Dx72L[/ame].
Would I be better off using the Cressi Gara 3000 LD? I guess my broader question would be: Is it a good idea to use freediving fins for Scuba?
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Cressi-Distane-Blade-Diving-12-13/dp/B0014F1J9G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337795878&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Cressi Men's Gara 3000 LD Long-Distance Long Blade Diving Fins: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31wz2h42UJL.@@AMEPARAM@@31wz2h42UJL[/ame]

Advice appreciated,

Thanks

Last edited:
The super channel fins are good scuba fins, but the Garas are much more capable. In the boat, they are a little of a hassle because of their length, but in the water, you will love them, especially if you have used them freediving. 10 times more if you have to swim very far using tanks.

I used to use jetfins for both scuba and freediving, also a very good fin, but switched to longfins instantly after trying them once. The difference was immense.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to disagree but unless you are really careful and skilled freedive fins are more of a hindrance than a help on SCUBA.
You see many divemasters using them but I would hope that they are at the more skilled and careful end than a relatively inexperienced SCUBA diver. My advice would be to get your SCUBA skill levels up before thinking of switching to Freedive fins. I say this as a Freediver who is also a SCUBA Instructor that guides in The Maldives, an area with strong currents. I stick to SCUBA fins for SCUBA diving and freedive fins for snorkelling with Whale Sharks and other large marine creatures.

Thank you very much for your replies.

I am very tempted to buy freediving fins be it Cressi Gara or something similar, but I am also deterred by their sheer size, they are about a meter in length and traveling with them would be a hassle.

I think for now I will wait and see how I will do with my Mares superchannels and possibly upgrade later.

Thanks again for your responses.

Garas (LD) are absolute cracker fins, long yet very maneuverable and light and also very durable. I have travelled the world with freediving fins without any hassle, as I was usually both; scuba & freediving and taking two set of fins would be unnecessary. Once I started using long closed heel fins I stopped using classic scuba fins anyway, they're simply better performers. Saying that however, I would also dislike seeing inexperienced scuba divers kicking into the reef, other divers and stirring up the bottom with long flippers, so experience is important and makes superior equipment more enjoyable IMO.

cressi garas LD is good for surface swims on freediving but for scuba ? hmmmm it depends on your kicking style i guess . its just fine but if you need a more power try to find some other fins maybe

I actually went ahead and ordered Seac Shout S900 fins, they were on sale at amazon.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Seac-Diving-Shout-S900-Camo/dp/B00569AGKE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1337963241&sr=8-2"]Amazon.com: Seac Diving Shout S900 Camo Fins: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41DBXElr-8L.@@AMEPARAM@@41DBXElr-8L[/ame]

I'll try them out.

Freediving fins just seem so much more exciting. Before I was looking strictly at scuba fins like the Atomic Smoke on the Water, thinking to myself: is this fin really worth the 259$ bucks they are charging for it? I came to a conclusion that it is not. It will definately not propel me any faster than the Mares I already have.

The Mares Quattro (very similar to what you have) have been rated again and again as the bench mark scuba fin for years - they are excellent, and very hard to beat for scuba. Some like the jet fins too, old cheap design.

For me, freedive fins are restricting in scuba as the variety of kicks is limited in effectiveness - pretty much all that works well is standard freestyle kick, frog kick isn't fun at all in long fins for me, backwards frog wouldn't even try. It's not what they are made for, they can be used, just not as good for me.

For travel, not so good, too long for transport.

As other mentioned, you will need to be more careful or you will end a lot of times slapping other divers (settings masks and regulators in free fly) or worse, damaging the environment without noticing.

Even if you are sure of not touching anything the water flowing out of the fin can damage underwater flora and fauna.

I actually went ahead and ordered Seac Shout S900 fins, they were on sale at amazon.
Amazon.com: Seac Diving Shout S900 Camo Fins: Sports & Outdoors

I'll try them out.

Freediving fins just seem so much more exciting. Before I was looking strictly at scuba fins like the Atomic Smoke on the Water, thinking to myself: is this fin really worth the 259$ bucks they are charging for it? I came to a conclusion that it is not. It will definately not propel me any faster than the Mares I already have.

I use the smoke on water fins for scuba and they are no way as powerful as my cressi freediving fins. However they feel fantastic in the water, very little resistance when you kick and a very decent amount of power and incredibly manoeuvrable.

For me, freedive fins are restricting in scuba as the variety of kicks is limited in effectiveness - pretty much all that works well is standard freestyle kick, frog kick isn't fun at all in long fins for me, backwards frog wouldn't even try. It's not what they are made for, they can be used, just not as good for me.
I guess might not work for everybody, but I found frog kick with flexible plastic "freediving” fins much easier and by far more effective than with classic scuba fins, which actually adds to better control and damage/turbulence prevention. The same goes for backwards frog. I get plenty of go with just moving ankles and feet so no need for free style kick at all for covering distances effortlessly. On the other hand, when power is needed; in currents or for speed, there is just no substitute. As a matter of fact, I was using the old green Esclapez as preferable scuba fins long before I could use them for freediving as effectively. Used them on wrecks, coral reefs, flooded mines and freshwater dams where silt among flooded trees in total darkness is no funny business and it was love at first sight. Nothing against flamboyant scubadiving fins marketing industry really ...

Bleurgh - one of us is deeply odd.

Can't live with the big flex before the blade grips the water on frog kicks with long fins - the instant toe twitch level of control with shorter stiff fins feels much direct & in contact for rotation and fine control. But none of that is exactly science.

You have your crazy fun with your big soggy kicks that give drive 5 seconds after you initiate them & 5 seconds after you stopped :)

Could all be in my mind of course (although a small target to work with) - if I'd started out with long fins bet it would all feel fine.

I returned the Seac S900, they were too big, clumsy and didn't flex enough. I got a pair of Tusa Expert Split fins to compliment my Mares Superchannels.

I realized that long, slow kicks used for free-diving are really not my style (at least not yet).

Thanks for your replies.

I returned the Seac S900, they were too big, clumsy and didn't flex enough. I got a pair of Tusa Expert Split fins to compliment my Mares Superchannels.

I realized that long, slow kicks used for free-diving are really not my style (at least not yet).

Thanks for your replies.

I was about to suggest maybe not getting freediving fins yet but then got to the bottom of the thread and saw your update lol

It's the first time I hear about clumsy fins though :p

(only pulling your leg, although I freedive I still feel like that with long fins)

I was about to suggest maybe not getting freediving fins yet but then got to the bottom of the thread and saw your update lol

It's the first time I hear about clumsy fins though :p

(only pulling your leg, although I freedive I still feel like that with long fins)

Hey there,

I was actually uber excited when I got the Seac 900, but when I tried them in the pool they felt awkward, (the kind of feeling you get when you wear skis). What I like about my Mares fins is that they feel like extensions of my feet and after a while I stop noticing them. I believe they were modeled after seal flippers.

Hey there,

I was actually uber excited when I got the Seac 900, but when I tried them in the pool they felt awkward, (the kind of feeling you get when you wear skis). What I like about my Mares fins is that they feel like extensions of my feet and after a while I stop noticing them. I believe they were modeled after seal flippers.

I like smaller fins too. Freediving fins just take a bit of getting used to.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT