• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Cressi-Sub Comanche or Sporasub Mimetic?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

GoblinShark

Apex Predator
Jun 5, 2002
Can any of you guys tell me anything about the Cressi-Sub Comanche 110 cm or the Sporasub Aspic Mimetic 90 cm? Which of these two guns would you guys pick? It is not for me, it is for my little brother who is going to turn 15. I want something for him that is both accurate and well made. I tried to find info on the Cressi-Sub Comanche on the net but I couldn't find anything at all. My budget is small so I am looking for the most bang for my buck and these two guns are priced very well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey Goblin!

There are few fatctors you should consider I think:

1. Your brother's experience - if he's not an experienced spearo, go for the short gun. By the way most of the 90cm european guns (including Cressi and Sporasub) do not difer so much. Very few innovations are available, and no one can tell you whether they are really of any value (like the Imersion TRIAXX system).

2. Hunting environment - and most of all, the visibility. The 110 cm guns in Europe we use only when the vis is VERY good. The long gun is not very suitable for reef hunting (you can't turn the gun fast enough for good aiming and you can forget about hunting in holes). The Mimetic tube is a nice thing if the spear is black - if not, the whole mimetic thing is useless.

3. Comfort - the only real issue we consider in Europe when we choose a 90 cm gun is the comfort when you hold the gun, since the handle is one of the very few differencies between the models. But your brother should try and pick the model himself.

Have fun shopping!

nice job, Bone

Very true Bone.

Of the two, I know that the Sporasubs are more available and thus easier to get the parts and pieces for. Plus, I believe you can get these things from Depper Blue's store, which is the only true way to shop as we all know... ;)

Of course if it's the kid's first, or yours, go look at a simple JBL Explorer or the like... great stuff for not so many ducats.

sven

Words of wisdom, Icarus.

Availability of spare parts is always an issue. I am not familiar with the Comanche, but I am sure you won't be able to fit Beuchat bands into the Apache muzzle. And I was forced to pull out of the competition I was in just cause of my stupidity. You need the right Cressi bands. :)

To be honest, I'd go for a 90 cm Beuchat Arca if I'm a complete newbie. It's very cheap (even though not very durable) and fits perfectly for training. After all - the kid is 15 - I am sure he won't take as good care for an expensive gun as I would.

Hey guys thank for the replies. It will be his first speargun and he ended up picking a Picasso Basik Fibertek gun from the Dive Inn site (I know nothing about this gun but it was the one he liked.) I can assure you that the speargun will be very well cared for since I am the one that will soak it in hot water for about 1 1/2 hours and keep everything in top notch working order. I am critical about taking care of our fishing things whether it be my fishing rods and reels or spearguns. Now all I have to do is find a gun for my dad and get myself the Rob Allen gun and a new set of fins. Thanks for the help.

Originally posted by Wishbone
Words of wisdom, Icarus.
After all - the kid is 15 - I am sure he won't take as good care for an expensive gun as I would.

Take care, bone... I'm amazed at what a kid'll do once you leave them with a little responsibilty for somthing they really want. I still have gear I was using when I was 13. Should have incorporated that thought process into the marriage, on thinking about it...

Gobbling Shark... give Aaron (Octo) here a call. He's got a Picasso Basik and the ling cod he shot last time with me tasted pretty good he said.

sven

I guess you're right, Icarus.

It all depends on the kid. I've personally destroyed many items from my gear just cause I didn't know how exactly to take care of them. It's goot that there are websites with maintenance hints nowadays.
The only thing I keep like my own eyes is a 75cm Sporasub gun, still having the sticker Champion Du Monde. It's Jean Baptiste Esclapez's gun and he won the '75 World Spearfishing Championship in Peru with it. Amazingly, the gun ended up in Bulgaria when Esclapez participated in the Silver Amphora Cup here in '78. My dad was his Referee in boat and the champion gave him the gun as a "thank you" gift. I was 4 years old back then and dad gave me the gun when he gave up spearfishing 15 years ago...

Just a story.. :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT