• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Cressi Sub Star SL help please

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

diverjoe518

Apr 26, 2005
Hi
i just recieved this gun as a hand me down and it didnt come with any directions on how many pumps it takes to reach the required pressure in the barrel i was wondering if anyone had this gun if thewy know the answer to my question of how many pumps it takes to fill pressure in the Star sl 28"
thanks
diverjoe

i takes a good few pumps. trial and error is the best way to find out. i never really counted how many pumps...

Hi diverjoe, I have the SL Star 70(that's cm)....
The Cressi handbook states that to charge the internal chamber to 18-20psi (recommended max limit), you would pump 250-280 times.
Indeed I have just done that a couple of days ago.
I believe you would need to roughly gauge when you have fired it a minimum of 60 times before considering topping it up again. I think I am going to try and find a small pocket pressure gauge (if it fits) to meassure the air performance over 60 shots. :martial

250 times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By all means stop. Pneumatics come already pressurised from the factory. 250 times is probably reccomended after all the air has been let out (before flying, maintenance etc.), otherwise if its new no additional pumping is necessary. You can give it 30-40 pumps and you will see that the pump's piston wont budge anymore cause its already packed. Dont overpower it as it affects accuracy and the SL is notorious for the disproportionate effort it takes to load anyway.

Ntrik
250 times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By all means stop. Pneumatics come already pressurised from the factory. 250 times is probably reccomended after all the air has been let out (before flying, maintenance etc.), otherwise if its new no additional pumping is necessary.

:duh Well Ntrik, don't want to be flippant with you but all those exclamation marks seem strange when diverjoe plainly states that the gun was a hand me down (hand me downs are normally not new). From empty to 18-20pSi, 250-280 is written in the Cressi-sub user manual. However, one thing, I think your comment on letting the air out is additionally useful to diverjoe and should be done as a start point if you are not sure of the spearguns history. At least then YOU will know. The maximum recommendations of pump pressure given by Cressi are stated from the angle of Health and Safety and avoiding damaging the gun and not in reference to whether the gun loses accuracy.
Hope this helps diverjoe.
:wave

P.S To let the air out....
Use a coin to unscrew the back plastic cover.
Use something like a matchstick strong enough to push the small stop valve down, but make sure you hold a tissue over the back area as you dont want any oil spits in your face.
cheers

MATCHSTICK??????? what?! nooooo!!! what if it breaks and gets lodged there??
rather use a small metal pick

and 250 pumps?! are you out of your mind? its fish you are trying to shoot, not harpoon a whale! 20-30 pumps should be more than enough!

Before letting the air out, you should leave the gun with the end of the barrel facing down, for about half an hour. This way (and by holding a tissue over the valve )you can avoid those oil spits.

Diverjoe518,

I use and sell pneumatic guns, and the best way to check the right pressure for you is by trial and error, but to be sure that you will pass the manufacturer limit the best way is to measure it with a pressure gauge.

My big guns (130 cm) are loaded with almost 1250 pumps in order to reach close to 28 atm (411 psi). If I am using the mamba system (without water column into the barrel) I can use higher pressures. I am pretty sure that you read something different in the manual it must said between 18-20 Atm not psi; 20 psi is nothing not even the pressure in a tire.

Regards

Hi, I decided to show in black and white what it says in the Cressi manual that comes with the gun....I cant comment on the time it retains it's 18-20 bar (not psi), pump charge as I am not using mine but lending it out (I just prefer bands).

Here are the snapshots from the Cressi manual....

Regards

Attachments

• Cressi Star pressure.JPG
    Cressi Star pressure.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 520
  • Cressi Star pumps.JPG
    Cressi Star pumps.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 503
Cressi-Sub SL 95 help

Hi all,
I am fairly new to the sport of SCUBA and have just purchased a Cressi-Sub SL 95. It came without a manual so I am at a loss as to how to operate or service it. I have tried the Cressi-Sub web site but the drawings on their downloads are very poor. Can anyone tell me where I can locate such a manual?
Thank you.
icon5.gif

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT