• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Cressi wishbone failure

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Fishstab

Jun 16, 2020
I’ve had my cressi Cherokee 90 since the start of the month and has probs my been fired less than 15 times over a couple of dives.

It has a screw on ‘type A’ wishbone type
CCC3FFE1-EE6F-450A-94D5-B95F59EF85E4.png

which screws onto the threaded band ends.

the last time I took it out one side of the wishbone popped off when loading. Initially I thought it must have been loose but it happened again shortly after.

I’ve checked the threads and they seem good and no cracks can be seen on the wishbone. Gun hasn’t been dropped or treated roughly. I’ve emailed the place I got it from and they basically shrugged their shoulders and said this can happen with plastic parts and I should replace it with a different band and dyneema wishbone.. no offer of replacing the cressi wishbone but I haven’t pushed it.

has anyone has this happen before? Seems very premature to have something like this fail!

Reactions: Mr. X
I forgot to add my options are:

A. Glue the wishbone on to the rubber and see how long it lasts
B. Replace the cressi wishbone with a new one (~£15)
C. New band with dyneema wishbone (probably £20?)

Cressi spearguns are sounding increasingly crap of late. Recent reports of multiple cases of Cressi spears fracturing at the sharkfin welds. Now bad wishbones.

The retailer should fix this for you within the first 12 months (UK/EU) - and usually the manufacturer for the second 2 years. Good retailers and manufacturers would just sort this out immediately for you, regardless of the time. It's not worth this public knock to their reputation/brand.

Failing that, report the retailer, in UK to trading standards office ( the product is not of merchandisable quality - that's the key phrase; they now handle web sales as well); in the USA, to the retailer's local Better Business Bureau, surprisingly effective. Name and shame them here too - just make sure you are honest and accurate, for your own good. DiveInn by any chance?

I would be tempted to contact Cressi direct
If they have any sense they'll just send you a replacement. They used to have a premium reputation but, like so many brands, it looks like they might have sold out to carpet baggers, out for a quick profit :(

Last edited:
If the plastic were ok - but it's not in this case - you could make a Dyneema wishbone for pennies, using 2 small metal washers, a few inches of 1.8/ 1.9mm Dyneema and your existing caps. I've done this before. But you likely have regular spear notches which would also need shaping and smoothing with a diamond file and metal polish. I've done this twice. Rob Allen spears have good notches for dyneema, look them up on Google if you need a reference.

I think your best bet is to get a new, free wishbone from the retailer or Cressi. Or at least the plastic end caps. I think I have some spare Picasso and/or Omer end caps but they are not compatible with each other, different threads. :(

Just as well we're all moving to bulk rubber and knotted dyneema wishbones, at least that's how it seems these days. ;)

I tend to avoid Picasso gear (although their spearguns and spears might be ok), DiveInn if I can and now Cressi. Suggest others consider doing the same.

Good point about location. Some locations are "fussier" than others. Perhaps due to the type of bottom (sand, rock, weed, etc.) and sheltering factors, such as reefs, sand bars, headlands, spits, harbour walls, tombolo, etc.
Cressi spearguns are sounding increasingly crap of late. Recent reports of multiple cases of Cressi spears fracturing at the sharkfin welds. Now bad wishbones.

The retailer should fix this for you within the first 12 months (UK/EU) - and usually the manufacturer for the second 2 years. Good retailers and manufacturers would just sort this out immediately for you, regardless of the time. It's not worth this public knock to their reputation/brand.

Failing that, report the retailer, in UK to trading standards office ( the product is not of merchandisable quality - that's the key phrase; they now handle web sales as well); in the USA, to the retailer's local Better Business Bureau, surprisingly effective. Name and shame them here too - just make sure you are honest and accurate, for your own good. DiveInn by any chance?

I would be tempted to contact Cressi direct
If they have any sense they'll just send you a replacement. They used to have a premium reputation but, like so many brands, it looks like they might have sold out to carpet baggers, out for a quick profit :(

vendor is spearfishing.co.uk, they’ve said as they received the gun sealed from Cressi and didn’t open it they can’t accept liability (although they rigged it up for me with a muzzle bungeesomthey must have opened it). Pretty disappointing they’ve just sloped shoulders as I was singing their praises the other day.

I’ve emailed cressi direct so I’ll see what they say. A new 50cm 16mm rubber and dynema wishbone will be almost £25 delivered from spearfishing.co.uk (what they have recommended). Unfortunately they aren’t answering the phone (I assume their physical shop is still closed) so I can’t talk to anyone directly to resolve this.

im considering justusing a bit of epoxy on the threads to keep the wishbone on if I have no luck getting it replaced

The plastic screw threads should hold unless the thread peaks have stripped off. They may look OK, but material could have been lost or never been there in the first place if there was a moulding problem. Problem could be on the male or the female threads, so better to replace both parts with a new band.

The bands with their threads and the wishbone with its plastic caps with threads should be replaced and not used or "repaired"!! The question will be who will pay for it, I'd say Cressi through their dealer. At any rate, replace the parts and not try to repair them or reuse them. In the future, don't get a closed muzzle gun with thread bands and metal wishbone!!!

• Love
Spearfishing.co.uk, I am surprised, and disappointed for you. I've purchased from them a couple of times and found them to be very good. I had an issue with one item and they resolved it immediately. First class.

They were just about to open a store when lockdown happened. Perhaps they have additional staff who are not so helpful? I think under UK law, the retailer is responsible for the first 12 months. The Trading Standards Office are good at reminding retailers of their legal obligations. But hopefully Cressi will make things right.

Some smaller businesses are really struggling with lockdown. I had my first haircut since lockdown yesterday and the Barber said lockdown caught him off guard. He had no money and had to borrow £60 to feed his family (wife and at least 2 children) for the first few days.

Spearfishing.co.uk, I am surprised, and disappointed for you. I've purchased from them a couple of times and found them to be very good. I had an issue with one item and they resolved it immediately. First class.

They were just about to open a store when lockdown happened. Perhaps they have additional staff who are not so helpful? I think under UK law, the retailer is responsible for the first 12 months. The Trading Standards Office are good at reminding retailers of their legal obligations. But hopefully Cressi will make things right.

Some smaller businesses are really struggling with lockdown. I had my first haircut since lockdown yesterday and the Barber said lockdown caught him off guard. He had no money and had to borrow £60 to feed his family (wife and at least 2 children) for the first few days.

they’ve now said they’re happy to replace the wishbone free of charge which is nice. It was actually only slipping off every couple of loads and I decided to risk it and he’s sour this evening for a quick hunt. Got a plaice pretty quick and when I reloaded the wishbone came off again.

I thought ah well at least I got one last fish from it, but on inspection the cap was still on the bandand it was actually the metal pin that slows the wishbone to articulate that had snapped!

what a load of crap these cressi wishbones are!

I solved a similar problem once with a couple wraps of teflon tape over the bands threads. Try it before doing anything else.

autocorrect seems to have rendered my previous post almost unreadable haha

I solved a similar problem once with a couple wraps of teflon tape over the bands threads. Try it before doing anything else.
Ah great shout, not sure why I never thought of this, was on the verge of just epoxying it on but seems like I’m also writing off the band.

I think when the new one comes I’ll PTFE tape it in case the threads on the band are damaged too

Sounds like good news all round. You're getting a new wishbone, speafishing.co.uk retain a good reputation for service and, of course, we are reminded of the benefits of PTFE tape. Result!

BTW check your loading technique. Make sure that you place the wishbone accurately, with care and centred. And that the threads are done up tight but not over tight (torque wrench? :D) ;)

Last edited:
Sounds like good news all round. You're getting a new wishbone, speafishing.co.uk retain a good reputation for service and, of course, we are reminded of the benefits of PTFE tape. Result!

BTW check your loading technique. Make sure that you place the wishbone accurately, with care and centred. And that the threads are done up tight but not over tight (torque wrench? :D) ;)

yeah I’ve gone ahead and bought a rubber and dyneema wishbone too as I’m not very confident the screw on wishbones from cressi are up to much. Mine failed at two separate points - the stripped plastic thread and Snapped metal pin, a friend of mine has also suffered a snapped metal pin.

last ditch effort yesterday I bodged the wishbone with a keyring, held well enough for me to catch a flounder for dinner which was nice but looking forward to switching it out for something more reliable. Hopefully I don’t have to modify the shaft notches to accommodate a dyneema wishbone.

Unsure why spearfishingUK did a u turn on replacing the part, perhaps cressi sent them an email (I emailed them directly), perhaps they saw this thread or maybe they just came to their senses. Either way theyve come through which is good as there really isn’t much choice when buying spearfishing stuff in the UK

:D Your pal might be able to fix that pin with a piece of stainless steel bike spoke cut and hammered to dome both ends as a rivet. See the flopper video by Dan Man or the New Zealand alternative for details.

Yes, longer term I would (and have) switched to a 16mm bulk rubber loop and Dyneema wishbone. You will need to smooth and polish the sharp side edges off the spear notches if you switch to Dyneema. You could use a Dremel-type tool or perhaps fine wet and dry paper but a cheap diamond file - about £3.50 a set on eBay - worked best for me. Followed by metal polish (e.g. Autosol, Aldi, Peek or green/white polishing compound) applied using a piece of string to polish the smoothed groove.

Here is one of my modified (improved) spear notches for reference:
PHOTO_20200719_154037.jpg

Last edited:
I used Rob Allen spear notches as my guide but didn't need to go quite as far a they do. Here are both notches on the same spear.
PHOTO_20200719_154106.jpg

I used Rob Allen spear notches as my guide but didn't need to go quite as far a they do. Here are both notches on the same spear.
View attachment 56386

nice, my spear doesn’t seem to have sharp edges but I’ve got a dremel and some wet and dry here to have a go if needed.

How precise do band measurements need to be? SpearfishingUK said measure from the furthest notch from the pistol grip to the start of the muzzle hole, x2 then divide by 2.7.

This gives me 60cm, I let them know this and they then asked to then measure the existing band which is 57cm to the threaded ends. They said they’ll send me a 57cm one out.

all the formulas seem to be a bit wishy washy - does it really matter as long as you get a decent stretch?

They are all approximations. I tend to use tables provided by some manufacturers. Usually an old Rob Allen table but it only shows lengths for 16mm and 19/20mm rubbers, not 14mm. So I found another table.

It is common to see differences of 1 or 2 cm, sometimes more, between tables or formulas. There are trade offs to be made between power, ease of loading and band longevity. Also, a longer band can be cut down later, when the ends begin to perish and the rubber has softened - although that is usually time for a new rubber.

The formula you mention is aiming for a band stretch of x2.7. Sounds ok, maybe nearer the lower end of recommendations? I don't recall the various recommendations for maximum stretch but 3.5 rings a bell. It probably depends on the rubber used too. Most bulk rubber used to be made in the USA but I think that is changing, with European companies beginning to reluctantly embrace SA-style bulk rubber bands and Dyeema wishbones, over proprietary screw in rubbers. I think band rubber may also be manufactured in Europe and Asia now. I think x3 might be a common recommendation. If you stretch too far though, the rubber won't fully recover it's original length.

There are some reports of some Asian rubbers not being up to snuff. Some of that might just be brand propaganda. Perhaps not providing enough UV protection? As latex comes from SE Asia, perhaps having bands manufactured there makes some sense. Bulk rubber used to be cheap and good. These days, you need to shop more carefully. Prices are up and quality more variable. But there are lots of pretty colours available now!

Last edited:
They are all approximations. I tend to use tables provided by some manufacturers. Usually an old Rob Allen table but it only shows lengths for 16mm and 19/20mm rubbers, not 14mm. So I found another table.

It is common to see differences of 1 or 2 cm, sometimes more, between tables or formulas. There are trade offs to be made between power, ease of loading and band longevity. Also, a longer band can be cut down later, when the ends begin to perish and the rubber has softened - although that is usually time for a new rubber.

The formula you mention is aiming for a band stretch of x2.7. Sounds ok, maybe nearer the lower end of recommendations? I don't recall the various recommendations for maximum stretch but 3.5 rings a bell. It probably depends on the rubber used too. Most bulk rubber used to be made in the USA but I think that is changing, with European companies beginning to reluctantly embrace SA-style bulk rubber bands and Dyeema wishbones, over proprietary screw in rubbers. I think band rubber may also be manufactured in Europe and Asia now. I think x3 might be a common recommendation. If you stretch too far though, the rubber won't fully recover it's original length.

There are some reports of some Asian rubbers not being up to snuff. Some of that might just be brand propaganda. Perhaps not providing enough UV protection? As latex comes from SE Asia, perhaps having bands manufactured there makes some sense. Bulk rubber used to be cheap and good. These days, you need to shop more carefully. Prices are up and quality more variable. But there are lots of pretty colours available now!

some great info there, thanks! I’ve read in multiple places that 3x stretch is the sweet spot, but as you said if I start out with 2.7 then I can always trim a bit off later.

one thing that’s a bit confusing is it was emphasised that I needed to measure From the muzzle to the furthest notch from the handle I.e not the notch I’m actually firing from. Any ideas why this may be?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT