• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Croaking for bass.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

sunfish

Old Hippy
May 13, 2007
After reading some discussion on this subject on one of the South of England threads I was wondering if anyone does it and can offer any tips.
eg. how many croaks then how long to wait before croaking again? Is it best on aspetto or will it work with aguatto too?
Has anyone a youtube link where I can hear the exact sound?

Hey - works for alot of fish...
Been diving with a young italian guy who does it incessantly... may attract fish but is really annoying too
Personally I make the noise maybe twice as soon as I hit the bottom for aspetto and then leave it. If you make the noise when a bass is in sight it generally swims away - at least that's what I've found - check out any video on medfish by someone like Shane or Memo - you'll hear the noise. Hard to explain without hearing !
Good luck
Ed

Reactions: sunfish and foxfish
I've just startsd croaking, and recently been in shoals of 10-15,2-4 lb bass and watched them change direction to investigate me. It definately works. The Pollock and wrasse come in very close also.

Reactions: sunfish
Some times it works some times it don't.

I do not think there is any formular to it just some days they like it one way or the other or not at all.

I have rattels and wizzers on my flasher that seem to work to.

For me, any noise seems to scare the fish away or not attract them - with one exception*. But Spaghetti posted a pretty comprehensive list of noises used by Italian spearos (inc. tapping the gun etc.) some time ago.

I once ascended from a pretty shallow dive blowing a lot of big bubbles, as I was a bit bored (unsual) -- the perfect looking east side of the bay in question was completely devoid of fish, despite nice rocks & weedbeds, etc.. The bubbles brought a bunch of wrasse speeding in towards me from nowhere - quite a surprise. It is an area where lobster/crab pots are often placed and fishing boats often anchor there, so I reckon they have come to associate noisy bubbles with a quick easy meal, perhaps lobster pots being thrown in or fish being gutted? Similarly I saw wrasse feeding under a crab/lobster live storage holding cage/box floating near the surface at Swanage.

can someone youtube the croak out of water so i know what you are doing?

I have tried making noises , but find most uncomfortable, or of no value.

I'm a stone clicker myself! , brings in Bass and Mullet. , although Mullet if in the area seem to love it.

this is how it should sound.. by the experts!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZlZUVhnOiQ]YouTube - White Sea Bass croaking[/ame]

Nice one Pav. Here's a vid with a diver croaking.
High Quality link: [ame=http://www.vimeo.com/4254968]When things go bad.. on Vimeo[/ame]

Reactions: FletchHR
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…