• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Crudo...not Ceviche

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

settingsteel

SettingSteel
Supporter
Aug 14, 2007
Here's a simple recipe for most any fish. Us Cubans call it crudo, somewhat unlike ceviche, but about as simple to make. Although some cook it in its own lime juice I flash boil it (traditional way) to prevent it from tasting to "limey".

About 2-3 pounds of Fish
Bunch of Cilantro/Culantro
Bunch of Parsely (any type)
Bunch Green Onions
Couple of limes
Salt

In a pot bring sufficient water (to cover the fish) to boil. As soon as it boils drop the filleted (free of bones) fish turn off heat wait about 1minute (2 max if fillets are thick, calculate about 1 min per inch) and gently drain them.

Chop all the ingredients up when the fish has cooled break it up, kinda like canned tuna consistency, add finely chopped ingredients mix, add the salt and lime to taste mix some more. Serve with any type cracker, or spread on bread....careful this stuffs addictive:t

Attachments

• crudo.jpg
    crudo.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 216
  • crudo (1).jpg
    crudo (1).jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 222
Reactions: podge and spaghetti
Interesting, for two reasons: first because it sounds good (we make something like that in Southern Europe, but call it "mousse"). Second because for us italians "crudo" simply means raw.
It's the italian "sashimi" actually, fresh fillets (or shells) just spillt with fresh lemon juice and a little olive oil (lemon spillt just before serving, otherwise it would be "marinato" instead of "crudo"). Lots a variants (with or without balsamic vinegar, with or without parsley, vinegar, pepper and anything). Italian crudo maybe also named "carpaccio" if the fillet is cut in very thin leafs, or "tartara" if minced/grinded.
(Bad idea to talk food now: I skipped the lunch today, I'm in my office and feelin' friggin' hungry now!!!)

Reactions: settingsteel
hehe I hear you amigo....I love carpaccio (meat) with capers and parmesan, had tuna tartara, and will probably try it with yellow jack now that you mention it:)

All those foods you mention sound great...any recetas?

Recipes of italian crudo? Get some raw fish, dress it with you favourite spice and eat it. :)
Your cuban crudo is a "cooked dish" as I get it (and a very tempting one :)), but italian crudo is simply raw fish with a light, non invasive dressing.
Speaking for one, I'm against fancy and complicated dressings for raw fish: I'd rather keep it simple, being the purpose of eating raw the sense of freshness, the natural taste of fish in its purity.
Difference being made by the freshness of the fish and the quality of ingredients. Olive oil, for example, oh my God, well olive oil...has to be the "right" one. These days of early winter, for example, we have the young, bitter oil of the new 2008 harvest (own family limited production from Grandpa's olive yard :)). Such a strong oil is great on "red" fish such as Bonito, or on strong tasted fish in general (I love raw amberjack very much). An older 10 months old oil, with a less invasive taste, is better on white fish (the milder the better in this case).
Forgive my ignorance: do you raise olive trees in Florida? I guess you must have a good weather for this cultivation...

Last edited:
I'm in the basement of the Law School library cramming for exams and reading about all this delicious food. As if watching spearfishing videos on youtube and deciding whether buying a Wong is worth selling a kidney for wasn't distraction enough. Question though, can this be a full meal or is it best as an appetizer?

I googled an enthusiastic report from an american tourist on italian tuna mousse.
The Original Spreadable Tuna Mousse (Spuma di Tonno) Recipe by - CHOW

I make it a different way: grind the boiled tuna in the processor (or canned tuna in oil if you lack the fresh ingredient), add sour cream, a spoonsful of Port (or Marsala, or Madera) and a spoonful of olive oil, thinly chopped laurel leafs and bays, then mix again till it becomes a consistent cream to spread.

hehe I hear you amigo....I love carpaccio (meat) with capers and parmesan, had tuna tartara, and will probably try it with yellow jack now that you mention it:)

All those foods you mention sound great...any recetas?

grind a few anchovies up in that capers and parmesan dressing for the carpaccio.. yummmmmmmmmmmmmm

ok, so the fish is the one on the stringer, i'm the wrinkly one holding it. that was sunday.

This here (Chile) is THE PERFECT ceviche fish: called ROLLIZO, white firmish meet, quite oily, but not a strong smelling oil, quite the opposite.

We cube it, about 1cm cubes, and mix with cilantro, sliced red onion, and tons of fresh lemon juice. A nice variation are those big chunks of Peruvian corn and green chile pepper.

the traditional Chilean ceviche is more mashed, the cubes style is more Peruvian (and far better).

Serve with a chilled white and some buttered toast. My kids can eat a kilo of this stuff each!

IMPORTANT TIP that we do, even in our very very clean waters: freeze the fish overnight, thaw and prepare.

Thats what they do here, although I have eaten it for years without any obvious effects without first freezing or cooking :crutch

here is one of the million versions on the web:
Ceviche peruano

Attachments

• rollizo_guaton.jpg
    rollizo_guaton.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Reactions: spaghetti
Add in serrano peppers. seeded and diced! Will help clear sinuses! :blackeye

More, chef Al, we need more! (I think you're the only real chef on Deeperblue :friday)
Speak for yourself Amigo I happen to be a "fraustrated" gourmet chefrofl
Speaking of which- no olives my friend will you settle for mango's,:) Actually Floridas subtropical weather is perfect for quite a few "exotic" fruits, many of which I grow, how 'bout you send me some of that olivio, and I'll send you some mango's:t

Indeed Simon thats the typical ceviche and quite tasty, and I to prefer it with the red onions, it might be interesting with corn, might givew it a go. As for the freezing I know fish for sushi should be flash frozen or held just below freezing for 12 hrs prior to serving, as for ceviche I would think the limes acidity will suffice to remove any bacteria.

Alexrom either or, lately I've been scooping it up with Tostitos (think mini fish taco), as for the Wong/Kidney I'll have to get back to you on thatrofl

Podge is on the MOVEMENT DIET--If it doesn't move fast enough he eats it! rofl:t:friday

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT