• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Cuba + Dominican Republic

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

DinnerFish

Nov 5, 2013
Hey guys,

Headed to Cuba and to Dominican Republic during Xmas break. Or course, my gear bag is travelling with me!

Anyone in these waters want to meet up for some hunting?
Anyone have tips on where to fish?
Good boat captains would be a treasured find.
What are fishing regulations in Cuba like?
Anything would help!

Thanks!

DinnerFish

Authorities r friendly to tourists spearos in Cuba, no worry there, bring a cooler n pack some fish to bring back, no lobster to b taken out of Cuba, local Cuban cannot be caught with lobster in their catches, the coast guards r inexistant, very few boats in Cuba. It's best to team up with the locals, they swim from shore, In Cayo Coco n Holguin, also Santiago, it's no big deal they all do it, fish is abundant. Their equipment is rudimentary but they make up with ingenious creativity, bring extra gloves to give away to Cuban spearos. Enjoy the cobos, no octopus though. Tons of pargo enjoy. Bull sharks r agressive like everywhere else, best not to spear any fish around them. There r Tigers but shy n timid, the regular white tips and reef can b very inquisitive but never menacing in my experience.

Last edited:
Thanks Poildeq,

I am getting mixed messages.
Spearfishing is illegal, allowed for tourists, might get in trouble, can buy your way out... I have read that some people had trouble at customs with their guns because its considered a weapon (gross misunderstanding I know)

I plan on just having fun. Giving the majority of my catch to locals. Giving away some of my gear also, I dont mind.

I think I am going to try to hook up with a local at Puerto Escondido - apparently I might have good luck there. I might try Cayo Coco, but its a little far from Havana so its a maybe.

Thanks again!

I have a spearfishing buddy that works in Cayo Coco that could take you out.

It's even better if he (or someone else) takes you to Cayo Guillermo.

Whoa Apneaddict, thats what I'm talking about!

He has a boat? Or are we talking shore diving?
Could you put me in touch please?

Also, I am trying to figure out if it is worth brining a gun or if I should just bring a pole spear. Its much simpler for transportation, but cant handle big fish if I see some. What do you think?

We went quasi shore diving.

We used a sail-catamaran from the resort that his other lifeguard buddy captained and dropped us off in the middle of the ocean and we fished and swam back to shore.

He has a lot of spearo buddies in Guillarmo where he used to work and the fish are bigger there. You could charter a boat from there.

I'd take a gun. The fish get big and the water is clear!

He's a local (none live in the keys / "cayos") so is bussed in every day 1.5 hrs.

Super nice guy and lovely family with an adorable blue eyed, blonde haired daughter. It's worth checking out his town and house on a day trip with him.

They use massive pneumatic locally made guns.

PM me your email address and I'll copy you in an email to his friend that has a computer to make arrangements. It takes a few days+ to get correspondences across.

All the best and have a blast!

Reactions: DinnerFish
Hahaha. The Catamaran hunt sounds awesome.
Ill send you a PM for the introduction. Thanks!

Theres an isla named rocca and perro between the 2 is deep trench n lots of pelagic fishes there u will love it amberjack wahoo spanish mack great spot about an hour by boat

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…