• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Cuba/Havana

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

nenrandir

Sep 16, 2011
Going to Cuba for a week in the beginning of April, Havana and thereabout. Any recommended places for free diving? (And considering old threads on the issue, I don't spearfish.)

I have heard the South coast is better but Have never made it to Cuba. I would be very interested in a trip report from you after you get back or from anyone else familiar with that beautiful country.

Jibacoa supposedly has a GREAT reef right off the resort and is ideal for an all-inclusive vacation that you can Freedive / snorkel out of easily a not need a boat.

There are also snorkeling excursions... But if you're going with family / friends who aren't freedivers but might enjoy snorkeling... Check out some reviews on Jibacoa.

I'll be staying in Habana, but Jiacoba sounds great. Do you know whether it's possible to take a bus there? Or cab? Or... basically whatever?

ask for transportation from hotels, I wouldn't go with the local transport (and I'm cuban) You should also try the "Saturno" Cave on the way to Varadero, It has a beautiful 30m lake in it, clear waters, great for photos.

Reactions: Apneaddict
Agreed. But a side-effect of the chronic shortage of just about everything has drawn families close together and a great sense of community and ingenuity.

The shortages are also why young, strong men go spearfishing from shore for 6-8 hrs at a time with crappy fins and high-volume masks.

Great ppl. I wish them all the best. The economy is really opening up quite fast in the past 10 yrs.

Reactions: nenrandir
I just got around to making a little map of where I was diving. The reef is in the rectangle, and I entered from the beach in the ellipse (where the beach pics in the video were shot). The road marked CD in the image is Via Blanca and goes to Havana (it's the one where the car goes in the beginning of the video).

The video is a few posts up, btw.

dive spot jibacoa.png

Reactions: Apneaddict
yes Cuba is great I have done most of the country and prefer the north 2 the south for spearing. But they have just outlawed spearfishing so cuba no more for this spearo

yes Cuba is great I have done most of the country and prefer the north 2 the south for spearing. But they have just outlawed spearfishing so cuba no more for this spearo

I speared there end of Feb for 2 weeks. Got asked at customs about my guns and all they said was be safe. Maybe i got lucky

I didn't even know abouy the ban. I just went and had a blast beautiful waters with over 20m of viability.

How'd you like cuba?
I have been spearing in Cuba since 1990, and travel there 3-4 times a year different location, great country great rum great ppl but shame about....u know what...but as apnea addict says its changing and fast...lobsters are rarer than before possibly because they can all now run small businesses and home restaurants are everywhere...and all the tourists want are lobsters...ignoring this delicious fish...for which I am crazy for...but careful about cleaning it to eat it has some toxins in the liver and the spleen I was told...
bakita.jpg

I have been spearing in Cuba since 1990, and travel there 3-4 times a year different location, great country great rum great ppl but shame about....u know what...but as apnea addict says its changing and fast...lobsters are rarer than before possibly because they can all now run small businesses and home restaurants are everywhere...and all the tourists want are lobsters...ignoring this delicious fish...for which I am crazy for...but careful about cleaning it to eat it has some toxins in the liver and the spleen I was told...View attachment 40716

i hear you..I have also been going there about 2 to 3 times a year for the past few years. i caught 2 lobsters on my trip along with a nice cuda about 12lbs. i gave my catch to the guy diving with me as i don't like the taste of baracuda and i'm allergic to shellfish, but overall a beautiful place.

I plan on going back late june as the local guy i was diving with told me the water will be pretty good and calm those times..

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT