• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Cuba still a good spearfishing spot

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

poildeq

Cuba Si
Mar 10, 2011
Just got back from a week of spear fishing in Cuba and it did not disappoint.
Here are some pics
Still looking for about 8 spearos who want to accompany me there possible dates in April/May

Attachments

• P1030192.jpg
    P1030192.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 261
  • P1030205.jpg
    P1030205.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 302
  • P1040591.jpg
    P1040591.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:
Where were you? Do I recognize those locals as the watersports guys from the Blau in Varadero?

North of Cuba no I was not in Varadero sorry mate..but I did give them the fish

Hi Poldeq
Glad you had a good/successful time. My trip to Cuba drew a big 0, a fortnight of scouting and I only saw tiddlers and urchins. When I asked the local dive leaders they said there was nothing in the area and that I would have to go a fair way down the coast to find anything remotely big enough.
To top it all, the police/airport security attempted to confiscate my spear guns at the airport when I was leaving :vangry. When I'd finally (after a lot of hassle and grief) conviced them to give them back , I was told that if I returned to Cuba and brought them with me, I would need to get written authorisation from the Cuban consulate prior to coming.
Do you need to do this prior to your visits?

Sorry to hear about your bad experience mate, I go to Cayo Largo and have had no problems. I did some fishing in the southern part of Cuba at Camaguey and Santiago and in both places the fishing was good but a few curious bulls and also at times Tigers come roaming but nothing agressive, I have had no hassle from the authorities..then again I go every 2 months.
I have heard that they will be asking for permit for guns from the Cubans but did not hear anything about the tourists.
I am leaving in 2 weeks for Cayo Coco.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT