• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Cubera of a life time

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

EARL1220i

Freediver/ Spearo
Nov 17, 2009
Cubera of a Lifetime....
This amazing catch was posted to our facebook page. Just wanted to share the "STOKE" and emotional rollercoaster thrill it must have been to shoot this amazing fish a crippling spine-shot, the fish getting off, and the ultimate capture but at a price.

From Spearo Leo via Facebook:

This is the story of how I achieved my spearfishing personal record by hunting a 104.7 pounds Dog Snapper. The last weekend (early june 2012), Lalo the Spaniard friend of Gustavo, Gustavo, Tony and I, went to check out few spots suggested by a fisherman who also took us to those spots. Unfortunately on the first sport the water wasn’t clear on the first 17 meters (56 ft aprox) we only had a clear window 4 or 5 meters (15 ft aprox) from the bottom, but that didn’t let us down, we spent one hour there and then we continued with the plan and we reached the next spot, we found the water clearer. Right at the moment we jump in the water we saw African pompanos, crevale jacks, black groupers and few snappers, I did the first immersion and I saw a jacks´ shoal but I didn’t fire when I reached the surface I told Tony that there are a bunch of big jacks and I showed him where they were so I decided to dive to the point where all them were coming, right at the moment when I was at the bottom I saw a 15 kgs (30 pounds) dog snapper and I followed him, but something told me I must look at my right and there was that beautiful specimen, I never have seen something of that size, so I forgot my first chasing and I had to make surface to catch some air but my heart was up to 1000 bpm and I was trying to relax myself… I was breathing and breathing but I couldn’t calm me down. The snapper started to move and I thought that was my chance or I never would see him again. So I took a deep breath and I dive chasing him, he was very calmed down, while I was going down he was swimming to get away from me. When I reached the bottom I was going very carefully and trying to get close to him…I heard a tail lashing, like an explosion so I thought that was the last time I was looking at him, but with that tail lash he twisted his body in order to measure the distance between him and me, I said to my self: Leovanni this is your last chance. I had in my hands a Hammerhead 110 X1 evolution with 2 16mm rubbers and 7.5mm shaft; the idea of hunting an animal like this never crossed my mind. I pull the trigger and everything happened like in slow motion, the snapper shake and start turning in circles like a fortune wheel. I hit him on the spine, I didn’t have air so I had to got surface again while I was there I had the line on my hand letting it run between my gloves, so I breath and come down again to pull the rope. When I went down I notice the shaft didn’t came through the animal, in the meanwhile he continued to moving in circles, I didn’t have any other chance than make a hard pull In order to open the flop inside of him, big mistake! When I did it the shaft came of the snapper. What can I do now? While this happened he stop moving in circles and began to reach the bottom slowly because of his own weight and he was dead wounded but continued falling down I couldn’t let that happen, I didn’t have time to load my gun again so I decided to go after him, I hugged him with my legs and arms with all the strength I had and I reached the surface again while he was twisting around my right arm was surrounding him from his left fin, my left arm surrounding him from the upper part and with a finger on his right eye, my legs surrounding him by the bottom side of his body I couldn’t let him to escape. He shakes again with strength and I didn’t realize in which moment my left hand ended on his mouth, I screamed of pain and that call the attention of Tony and the fisherman, but what I do remember was his dogtooth reaching my fingers thought the gloves, I couldn’t say any word but screams, I couldn’t take my hand of his mouth it was impossible, sometimes he loose it up the bitten but not enough to take y hand out and he tight it again and the intense pain came again, Tony realized that there was something wrong and he released his gun and swam to me, it wasn’t necessary to tell him what was going on because my hand was bleeding. He took his knife and tried to kill him, he look desperado when he finally could kill him, the snapper opened his mouth, and I was free finally. The boat was beside us on that moment. Tony got the snapper by the guts and with the fisherman’s help they could take him up to the boat while I was taking my gloves out to check out my hand to see if there was any damage when I saw the hole something white was coming out, perhaps some fat among the blood. They asked me to stop fishing and taking me to the doctor but I refused. I washed my hand with purified water I wrap it with a shirt, but when I saw the party going down in the water with those *******s, I took the shirt of, put the glove again and jump into the ocean again by the end of the day I landed a black grouper, a good sized jack and few hog fished before my hand turned into a big balloon and the beating started right after so I went to the boat and we end this beautiful spearfishing day.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT