• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

curious fish

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Bill

Baron of Breathold
Oct 17, 2001
It seems that once each year I'm in the right place at the right time to see a great display by the critters that share the ocean with us. 50+ years of diving and more stories than years, but they always catch you by surprise and of course, without a camera. Last year it was the two Sailfish that came in to see who was blowing the bubble rings and the year before I surprised a Dolphin at 30 meters that looked like he was standing on his tail, with his arms crossed and watching the crazy freedivers.
A few weeks ago Stig was out here training for his record attempt next month. He made a 60+ dive with Sebastian following him down. I gave them a head start and pulled down to 35. Before I got there Sebastian was pushing the big camera back to the surface and a few seconds later I saw that Stig had some more followers, a school of about one hundred Kamanu (Rainbow Runners) from 5-10 kilos. They stayed behind and below him, so he never saw them. I got in position to help Stig, if needed, and ignored the fish, but Leo, surface safety, says that a few of the bigger ones stayed with us to 20. If only Sebastian had planned to meet him on the way up.
Aloha
Bill

Last edited:
i was spotting bevan once on our fixed line in the middle of the bay. for some reason a baby macrel lives there. on that particular dive that one macrel followed him down and up again. but on the way up it stayed above his head racing with frantic tail kicks to stay above him. bevan didn't see it. to us it seemed like there was a tiny flickering flame burning on his head as he was coming up fast. we thought it was hilarious.

well, no big things in our lake.

roland

p.s. and yes, a picture of those rainbow runners would have been awesome.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT