• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Custom Enclosed Track Wong Magnum Hybrid

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

donmoore

Aug 19, 2002
It’s been a while since I posted. I’ve become a lurker latelyzzz! But I’m still here and here is an example of what I’ve been up to.

Last fall I dipped into the piggy bank and bought a 60” Wong Magnum Hybrid. I had 3 Riffe MT’s before this gun and had converted all 3 to the enclosed track. I liked the Wong, but I really missed the enclosed track. My close up underwater eye sight isn’t that good and looping the shooting line over the shaft to hold the shaft in place, combined with hassles of securing a slip tip line to keep the tip from falling off, was more than I could take. Also when on the side or upside down, the weight of the shaft would cause it to sag against the shooting line and probably affected the accuracy. I felt enclosed tracks were a big improvement, and going back to sit on top rail, was just annoying to me.

So I did some research, talked to Daryl, a machinist friend, and a plastic business friend, purchased some PVDF 1” rod, and a 1” and 3/8” plunge ball bits. PVDF is a low friction plastic, but with better machining and gluing characteristics than most low friction plastics. 3 Hours of machining on a mill machine later the first friend had manipulated it into an enclosed track with a 1’ rounding on the back side to fit on the hybrid tube.

Then it was my plastics friend turn. He built a jig and glued the track to the carbon tube with PowerBond a archery glue used for gluing tip inserts into carbon arrows. It seemed to adhere well, but the only problem is the glue expands when drying which caused a small amount to leak out. It doesn’t cause any functional problems, just doesn’t look as good as it could have. The PVDF is translucent amber color. You can see the shaft and the carbon tube through it, which looks pretty cool.

Sunday I should get a chance to try it out. Dry, the shaft slides easier than it did sitting on the abs track.

I still have enough PVDF left for one more track if someone wants to pay my machinist friend to mill it. He charges $25/hour. He maybe able to do it quicker the second time.
don

Attachments

• Down_Front.jpg
    Down_Front.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 343
  • side_w_shaft.jpg
    side_w_shaft.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 342
  • Side_w_shaft_out[2].JPG
    Side_w_shaft_out[2].JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 349
  • Upclose[1].JPG
    Upclose[1].JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 293
Last edited:
I have a 50" carbon fiber hybrid and have been missing frequently with it. I'm not sure if it is my declining vision or shaft whip. How much would it cost for your friends to machine and glue and enclosed track for me?

David,
It would be $75 or less for the machinist friend, and the plastic friend would $25. You could glue it on yourself and save the gluing fee and the shipping of the gun both ways.

My plastic friend is Josh White and he is making guns now. He has a really cool handle trigger mechanism and does good quality work.
don

Hey Don,

Does it really Worth to change a beatutiful and allready good gun, in order to get it more accurate?

Do you have another blue water guns, i mean with the enclosed track?

Do you notice any difference between them?

Nice work Don, I did an enclosed track for a customer in Florida that freeshafts and I used ABS for the track.

Attachments

• enclosed.jpg
    enclosed.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 345
An update on how the enclosed track worked. Beautifully! I did not miss a shot and the line wrapping was much easer and faster. I get goose bumps everything I look at it. It’s just so cool!

Also the expansion rate due to temperature change seems to be close between the carbon and the PFVD. I have had it in cool water and a garage that had to be upper 90 degrees (don’t worry it goes in the house as soon as it’s dry) and it still looks great. Most manufactures use a single pin or other method to attach the plastic of plastic enclosed track, because of the difference in expansion rates between wood or metal and the plastic. The difficulty of attaching a plastic enclosed track to a tube is why many don’t do it.

seaman, the gun is more beautiful now than ever. The excess glue is less visible after I used it used it and everyone who has seen it, has commented on how cool it looks with the translucent enclosed track and being able to see the shaft and carbon through it.

Metelin, nice enclosed track pipe gun.
don

Last edited:
I am fascinated by this type of gun & inspired to attempt building one myself. Thanks for that, but I wonder if you could not clean off the excess glue?

Definitely a great gun

I always thought someone like C4 or omer should be able to build a carbon barrel with the enclosed track in it. I think would be a great gun. I loved enclosed tracks, I think that is the way to go.

Hi Don,

Is the track still available? I'd like to get it from your friend if he would mill it for 5/16" shaft.

Thanks and it is a beautiful gun.

Joe.

donmoore said:
David,
It would be $75 or less for the machinist friend, and the plastic friend would $25. You could glue it on yourself and save the gluing fee and the shipping of the gun both ways.

My plastic friend is Josh White and he is making guns now. He has a really cool handle trigger mechanism and does good quality work.
don

Foxfish,
I did clean a little off by scraping it with a knife, but it would have been more work than I had time for. Plus I was afraid I would scratch the carbon tube underneath. I think the way to do it from the beginning, if the same type of glue was used, would be to lay the track on the top tube before gluing, and run a piece of tape right up against the track on each side. Reomve the track, put the glue on put it in place with the shaft in and use several clamps. After the glue dried you should be able to remove the tape and excess glue.

Joe,
I have exchanged a few e-mails but no one has claimed it yet. The 1” PVDF rod cost about $60 a foot from McMasters, so just paying for the cost of machining is a good deal.

I’m just organizing this for fun and also for some PR. Josh and I are exploring making blue water floats and bungee float lines. Currently people have to make their own to get what is best. Our floats will not have hard sides like fiberglass covered floats (if you have ever had one of those hit you in the head you will know what I mean!) and they will come with sailing cams (like the best blue water floats have that you can’t buy).
don

Ivan,
Two reasons: First, delrin absorbs water and is not recommended by the manufactures of it for outdoor use. Second delrin doesn’t glue well. PFVD/Kynar accomplished both of these purposes. For a wood gun, were the track is milled into the gun and pinned, I think UHMW is better choice than delrin and a much better choice the nylon. For a carbon tube gun, PFVD is one of the few plastics that will glue well to the carbon and is low friction.
don

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT