• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Custom gun and gun choice

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ickledevil

take a breath and relax..
Apr 26, 2001
Hi all two questions here..
First off im looking for a new gun.. im based in the UK so euro guns, I have a 75cm picasso carbon century and am looking for a 90cm gun. I cant afford a 90cm carbon century.. in theory i have £100 to spend but ideally would like to spend less, i can get a 90cm rob allen within my price range and am very tempted any ideas on other options or opinions on these?!
Second off im toying with the idea of making a gun.. as a project for when im not diving.. would like to make a euro style/mid handled gun, i can come up with a design but am stumped by the trigger can you buy a mechanism and if so where from, how best to incorporate it.. take it you build the gun around it.. and can you build a rail in? by routing a passage or similar? Anything else i should look into?
Joe

tell us more about what you need in a gun?
If you need a gun that will do your job and be in 90cm lenght then there will be many alternatives.

RA guns are known by their accuracy(comes with the rail), strenght. But you can also look for cheaper alternatives in aluminum. I guess the barrel flex will not be a big problem in 90cm and you can go for a good aluminum gun (like picasso century?)

Right most of my diving is down to 20m, mainly for flatfish, mullet and bass up to approx 10lb or occasionally.. very occasionally bigger! (european sea bass, and grey mullet) Bass are my main target species and i am generally in kelp beds and around structure, they can be very very wary and in the summer i need something with more poke and range than my 75. At the moment my shooting line is direct to the gun with a small bungy. Guess thats about it. In my homemade gun i'd like something i could use in the same situations but i can say i made myself. On that point im also after a shorter gun for hole hunting and looking in wrecks and also in the winter for when i can only see 1m in front of me. I am thinking pnumatic but have no idea what. So any ideas on that would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers Joe

than I guess a relatively "budget" gun will do your job perfectly. Take a picasso century aluminum and a reel. It has strong bands, good spearshaft, sensitive trigger and plenty of spares :)

Try Picasso, Omer or Beuchat, all in alluminium and see what handle fits better of the one which you feel more comfortable with.

Roberto

Cheers for the advice, I think i'll buy another picasso as i love the one i currently have. Now all i could use is a little more advice on the trigger side and possibility of machining in a rail on a wooden homemade gun and any info on short pnumatics, im thinking 50cm or below. Cheers Joe

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT