• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Custom Made Titanium Slip Tip

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Iyadiver

Mr. Long Post
Apr 22, 2002
Boys,

I just received a gift from a friend.
This is a 100% Titanium Slip Tip.
The picture shows a Riffe Ice Pick and a
cigarette as a size comparison.

He made this for me for extreme current
and condition where slip tip is most likely
to fall off. Thus this is spring released Slip Tip.
Probably one of the only kind in the world.
Testing been done by him and the slip tip will
disengaged from the adaptor even when hitting
a mineral water clear bottle in the sea. That's sound
good enough for me but testing need to be done
further by myself.

The picture is a bit big, I want u guys to see the
details clearly.

IYA

This is the Titanium Slip Tip in ready to use set up.
The adaptor is abit too long for my liking.
It can still be shortened by at least 1 cm.

The way the cable is inserted is also unique.
Unlike Riffe crimped or Alexander ball insert,
this one uses a pin to crimp with precision drilled holed
to lock the cable. The cable is only 400 pound rated and
he has conducted a test where he used a crow bar to break loose the pin or the cable. The cable broke in the middle and the pin stay and no damage on the cable where the pin crushed it.
In other words this pin crimping is good enough. I would
prefer if it will take a 500# cable. Still to be refined.

Last edited:
This is the Titanium Slip Tip being dismantle.
The spring is that long, and hidden inside the adaptor. It won't come off, it been twisted as such it creates friction when pulle out. So I am sure the spring will stay where it belongs even when a fish fight hard. If I push the slip tip against a table, all I need is about 2-3kg of force (rough guess ) in order for the Slip Tip to pop out. The machining of the unit is as such a straight push will disengage the slip tip. I say this pal of mine is brilliant !!!!:D :D

Please pass on your comment for improvements boys. I'll need time to test this unit.

My main concern so far is :
- Since the adaptor is about 12mm, it is physicaly big. Bigger than Riffe or Alexander units. I am afraid if it pass thru a fish, it creates a big hole.

- Since the part of the slip tip that gets push in the adaptor is smaller in diameter of the main Slip Tip body, I am afraid the grip on a fish flesh is uneven. I know fish flesh is soft and will conform to the shape of the Slip Tip when pulled hard. I am thinking that the fatter the Slip Tip is ( with common sense of course ), the less damage it will damage a fish flesh.

IYA

Last edited:
Titanium Slip tip?

I am desperatly waiting for your test results. It is probably lighter than Riffeslip tip right? May be one very small and lightweight titanium slip tip works great in reef hunting.

Sorry Iya i have no experiance with slip tips and even i hadn`t seen one yet.So don`t expect help for design :t

hi

Murat where you been lately. Iya us Railgun users wouldnt have too much knowlege past the orginal and the best the Hawaiian shafts. Still your tip would probably suit your Jiffes :D

cheers

IYA,
Would you put me in your WILL to get all your speargun toys when you die?
Don
:t

That's a pretty sexy piece of work, Iya!

I agree that the adapter is a tad long, and those are the weakest parts of that particular system. I'd be happy to see some flares or wings on the tip, ala a Ice Pick or Alexander so the tip would toggle in a gill plate or incomplete penetration shot, but doing so in titanium would be a trick owing to it's brittle nature.
That use of a spring is a pretty smooth piece of thinking; it'd be interesting to hear how/if it ejects prior to a complete pass through the body of the fish...

Nice stuff.

Ok boys, let me do some extensive testing. I will use it on my MT0 with 5/16" (8mm) shaft first cause the small shaft has less impact, thus the Slip Tip ejection can be tested better.

Don, maybe I can spare you my MTO in my will...:D :D

Sultan, u are right, the machining of Titanium is very difficult according to my friend.

Beleive it or not, he also passed me his ultra power 10 meter pneumatic to test. This time in mid handle version. He just reworked the trigger unit. Ideas comes slowly it seems and the trigger lock the piston sear much better than those of Mares.
If this pneu can do real 10 meter or even 8 meter effective, I might use less my Riffes. Imagine a 110cm gun doing even 7 meter effective for a 20kg Dog Tooth is not yet available on Planet Earth, I mean non scuba charged air supply or fire arm bullets powered.

I am sure the pneumatic piston can travel real fast, much faster than any rubber trying to shrink back to shape.

The shaft is 10mm and he can push it to 11-12mm. The gun is +-110cm long. Now it weights -2kg in water. All stainless steel piece of brute. I still need to find a good viz to test the gun. It comes with 2 shafts, one a special freeshafting shaft to test so that no shooting line interfere with accuracy since 10 meter is the goal. The other shaft is using the Titanium Slip Tip. Anyone who ever handle a pnuematic will know that using a slip tip on it is next to impossible but again this friend made a special slide ring to accomodate.

I will post some test result and full blown photo. Hopefully this Saturday I can get in the water.

Thanks for all the input boys, appreciate it.

Originally posted by ivan
hi

Murat where you been lately. Iya us Railgun users wouldnt have too much knowlege past the orginal and the best the Hawaiian shafts. Still your tip would probably suit your Jiffes :D

cheers

I desteroyed my old computer and have difficulties to find computer to access internet. I am saving maoney to buy one. Can you belive the computer prices here. Average computer price is 1300+ dollars. OUCH ! !!

Hey Anderson;

I am in internet cafe now and using public computers does deeperblue has any security to protect my password aginst other users?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT