• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

custom polespears

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
You might be interested in one of Mike Kawamoto's hybrid spears.
His company, Kawabanga's Custom Spears make hybrid spears made half graphite and half aluminum. He will fabricate any length for upon request but has a few stardard models which are extremly popular here in Hawaii. Most fishing stores throughout the Hawaiian Islands carry his spears and are better known as "Three Prongs" due the three prong head made of heavy duty spring steel. His spears give you the best of both worlds with the speed and durability of graphite (front half of spear) and the punch of aluminum (rear half), complete aluminum spears are suceptible bends if mis-handled. Kawabanga spears come with heavy duty spring steel three prong heads that are far tougher than the Seahorse, JBL, and Reidel. If you have travel in mind, then these spears are not for you because they are one peice and do not break down into smaller components.
Examples and write ups about his spears have been in past issues of Hawaii Skin Diver Magazine. His spears are endorsed by former National Team Champion (1999 or 2000 can't remember, it was the year Hawaii won the National Championshionships) Gene Higa. If you are interested in one of his spears contact me at aranne@msn.com and I will give you his phone number. Remember that Hawaii is 5 or 6 hours behind the eastcoast.
I personally recomend these spears as an avid spearfisherman.:)

Aloha,
Adam

You can also try to get info from the guys at retrosub . Sorry , have lost their address ...:head

this is great!

The best spearfishers I have encountered first learned to hunt with pole spears and continue to use them from time to time.

Though I don't consider myself a great spear fisher I enjoy using my polespear and the skills it requires to use. I took my pole spear out today in search of skates and flounder. The skates I saw were in the metre plus range. I hate to try and surface with these fair sized fish on the end of a pole spear slip-tip or not. So I swam back to swap from a paralizer tip to my own custom flopper slip-tip with a line and a reel that I attach with a carabeener(I still don't know how to spell this word) to a second nylon weight belt. On my way back to the beach I got two nice petrale sole 35 and 44 cm respectively. I went back out with my slip tip and reel rig.

The fish layed just 8 metres north off a buoy chain. Once at depth I used the current to help me get in positon. Once I saw the two circles come into sight I streched the elastics(I hat the vibraton of super long elastic and so do skates) and let it fly. The penetration was perfect because of the sandy bottom under the fish. I gave tugs on the line to set the point as I ascended and the fish seemed to have been killed instanteniously. Once at the suface I slid my left arm through the elastics of the pole spear so as not to loose it and held the reel with my left hand whilst cranking the fish in with the right. The fish fought hard as it neared the surface and gave me a startle(ok ok it dragged me a bit and I really lost my cool because I thought it was dead). I let the line slacken and swam for the shallows this time I dug my heels in the sand. The skate complied and came home with me. At an even metre I am happy but have heard of them being well over two metres. It's great eating and all thanks to my pole spear.

Eric540-

:naughtyHow many times do you want this question answered? Three threads...Alll the same question!!!! The moderators will get down on you for double and triple posting the SAME question.:naughty

This is an awesome website - and no membership dues!!!! If Papa Smurf has to do too much MAINTENANCE on this site...Sooner or later it will GO AWAY....None of us want that...:waterwork

:headLook further down on the other TWO threads you posted the same question on....There you will find peoples opinion on "WHICH POLESPEAR TO BUY" Including my opinion...IF that matters.:head

And BTW....I doubt if anyone here has ever heard of a "henleyent" brand polespear.:confused: I think you mean Henley...Not too many of us on here use TEXT MSG language to write their posts either...:duh

Sorry to be the FIRST one to jump on you about this - But others SURELY would have. Out of NINE post EIGHT of them ask the same question!!!!!!!! You'll get the hang of it (posting) sooner or later! :)

Last edited:
alright im sry it i am new at this and i can never tell if a post worked so thanks for the heads up it wont happen again

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT