• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Custom Wetsuits: DiveIn Spaccato vs Elios Black Pro

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

rootsh0pf

Apr 24, 2021
Heyho Breathholders!

I want to buy my first custom cut wetsuit. I'm based in Germany and on freedivershop.de I found the two cheapest options to be the DiveIn Spaccato and the Elios Black Pro. Does anyone know how those two compare or can recommend one of them? They are both Sheico neoprene, open cell inside and nylon outside. I can't really tell a difference between them, but the Elios suit is 80 € more expensive. Ah and the DiveIn suit is available with a "urinal extension", which sounds very useful to me :D

Thanks in advance,
Luk

I can only vote for Elios, both because it's what I have and because it seems to hold up to my abuse. It has some cuts and tears now, but after hundreds of dives between rocks and never rinsing it with non-salt water that is to be expected.

I got mine directly from Elios. I would suggest you to apply there for a quote, they might actually have the same or cheaper price as another middleman gets cut out. Also when dealing directly they can really do any wish you have.

What kind of diving do you do? Is it freediving from a boat or spearfishing from a rocky shore that's never calm? Do you dive deep, and how many dives do you make? I, for example, spearfish all year round from rocky shores on a Mediterranean west-coast, so always waves. I dive medium depth (or shallow depending on who you ask haha), and spend 5-8 hours in the water making many dives per hour. Also my budget is limited. So for me all the soft neoprenes were out of the questions because they generally don't last as long and compress more easily. For me a 3mm Heiwa medium density was the best value. It lasts long and keeps me nice and warm, also at depth as it compresses a lot less than something soft (which however also means my free fall depth is a lot deeper for the same weight).

The wetsuit is to keep you safe from hypothermia, stings, scrapes and bites and to provide buoyancy. It's a safety tool, so quality is important. But since you'll be wearing it a lot (depending on your use of course, a competition freediver spends way less time in his suit than a spearfisher), comfort is extremely important too. Make wise decisions here, if the suit is well looked after it will last you a long time, so the extra cost normalized to yearly is neglilible.

There are two things I would do differently with a next suit. I would add a pissette as any water inside the suit makes it a lot colder during winter. And I would tap all the ends of the stitching with a little wetsuit glue as in elastic fabric they have the tendency to work themselves loose. Not sure if other suits have this with the stitching as well, it's the only minor criticism I have for my Elios suit.

I've used a made to measure Elios suit for 14 or 15 years. Great investment. :)

A Pissette or beck du canard or pee tube is a good idea, recommended by many. I haven't got one yet though; thinking about buying one from Omer, fitting instructions on YouTube. I'm sure Elios would add one if required.

Get a loading pad on the chest.

BTW we see a lot of complaints about DiveInn/scuba store. I've had very bad experience with them but also satisfactory orders. I tend to avoid them unless the price is very good or product otherwise unavailable. Don't underestimate the value of good service - companies like Elios and Rob Allen are a pleasure to work with, DiveInn not.

Last edited:
I've used a made to measure Elios suit for 14 or 15 years. Great investment. :)

A Pissette or beck du canard or pee tube is a good idea, recommended by many. I haven't got one yet though; thinking about buying one from Omer, fitting instructions on YouTube. I'm sure Elios would add one if required.

Get a loading pad on the chest.

BTW we see a lot of complaints about DiveInn/scuba store. I've had very bad experience with them but also satisfactory orders. I tend to avoid them unless the price is very good or product otherwise unavailable. Don't underestimate the value of good service - companies like Elios and Rob Allen are a pleasure to work with, DiveInn not.
What he said! Good service is worth far more than you pay for it. My Elios is 12 years in the Florida heat, and has only begun to show its age i n the last two or three.

I have 2 Elios wetsuits, I wouldn't choose anything else! I have a review here if interested, but you can't go wrong with them. I am sure if you ask they can install that extension ;-).

Thanks a lot for your detailed opinions and experiences!

Looks like I'll go with Elios then ;). I looked into their website and am a bit overwhelmed by all the options!
I don't spearfish, but like to dive through rocky swim-throughs, so I guess a lined suit would make sense, or does anyone have experience with "mesh skin"? I like that it prevents the wind chill, but don't really need the extra glide. Also does it degrade in sunlight as much as smooth skin?

My next Elios will have this feature. I'm skinny and wind chill over nylon gets uncomfortable fast. Coat works, but less convienent in a crowded boat.

Elios procedure for sizing a custom suit is terrifying (at least it used to be) I did not see any way it could possibly result in a suit that fit. Fit came out perfect. Italians do things different.

BTW we see a lot of complaints about DiveInn/scuba store. I've had very bad experience with them but also satisfactory orders.
Hello, i think the question refers to DiveIn, the Croatian wetsuit manufacturer, not DiveInn/Scubastore, the Spanish website.. and Elios..

Reactions: mik3ydll and Mr. X
I see a lot of good things about popular suits from Elios and Oceaner, but they are a bit more expensive that Polosub, what is the difference? They aren't considered designer wetsuits like Merman out of Korea are they?

Elios is definitely not a "designer" suit. Mine has very simple panels, not at all showy, just outstanding quality. They have been in business a very long time, probably the oldest major maker.

Don't know much about oceaner other than they have a great rep.3

I'd love to give Oceaner my business because they are so close to where I live. I just can't turn down Polosub when I can get two fine custom suits for the same or less price. I just can't tell what I might be missing out on.

Hello, i think the question refers to DiveIn, the Croatian wetsuit manufacturer, not DiveInn/Scubastore, the Spanish website.. and Elios..
Yes exactly! That's not clever to have such similar names! Does anyone have experience with the Croatian DiveIn?

I'd love to give Oceaner my business because they are so close to where I live. I just can't turn down Polosub when I can get two fine custom suits for the same or less price. I just can't tell what I might be missing out on.

And PoloSub also sounds very nice... Hahaha too many choices! o_O

I see a lot of good things about popular suits from Elios and Oceaner, but they are a bit more expensive that Polosub, what is the difference? They aren't considered designer wetsuits like Merman out of Korea are they?
Are you about pricing? Last time I checked, (several years ago) Polosub was significantly more expensive than Eliosub - but they had more variety in options with things like semi-camo.

BTW My Mares suit was made in Cambodia, the only product I've ever seen from there. It's good. I slightly prefer my Elios suit though.

With Elios you can't go wrong. Let them advise you. They know their business.

Are you about pricing? Last time I checked, (several years ago) Polosub was significantly more expensive than Eliosub - but they had more variety in options with things like semi-camo.

BTW My Mares suit was made in Cambodia, the only product I've ever seen from there. It's good. I slightly prefer my Elios suit though.
Polosub is actually ~50€ cheaper (at least with Elios 2018 prices).

Elios (01/2018): Suit 3mm open cell inside / Nylon elastic Black outside Neoprene Heiwa Price Euro 270,00
Polosub (2021): Lined Opencell Black - Suit 233€
(both with kneepad to be comparable)

Polosub is actually ~50€ cheaper (at least with Elios 2018 prices).

Elios (01/2018): Suit 3mm open cell inside / Nylon elastic Black outside Neoprene Heiwa Price Euro 270,00
Polosub (2021): Lined Opencell Black - Suit 233€
(both with kneepad to be comparable)
Is the neoprene the same? There are different neoprene types/qualities. Do you know what neoprene the Polosub uses? The Elios is Heiwa.

polosub doesn't let you choose or say what they use, but given it's popular and the price. They probably also use either Heiwa or Sheico, there are not that many neopren manafacturers.

Is the neoprene the same? There are different neoprene types/qualities. Do you know what neoprene the Polosub uses? The Elios is Heiwa.
I asked Polosub a few weeks ago about neoprene types and they said, they don't want to tell which neoprene they use for business reasons, instead they brand everything as "Polosub-neoprene" :D But they ensured me they take the best neoprene available for the different use cases :p

• Haha
Reactions: mik3ydll
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT