• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Cutting farmer john wetsuit to waist high pants

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Joao Pedro

Feb 19, 2015
Has anyone actually cut the farmer john to transform it in high waist pants? I have reasons to believe that farmer's style is kind of blocking my last inhale, plus i usually dive in 21°C and with a 3mm heat is insane.

Any help? I dont want to ruin my wetsuit, so I really appreciate any info! Thanks, dive safe!!

I've cut plenty lined outer suits and they've been fine.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Some Beuchat spearo wetsuits include a special seam to facilitate this type of modification (good idea): Beuchat's "Precut System" - and they have patented it!

They also have a patent fly: "Braca Concept (Beuchat patent) : a zipless fly that is simple to use, discreet and hygienic" :)
Both are feature on their Rocksea Competition wetsuit apparently: http://www.beuchat-diving.com/en/produits/rocksea-competition-2/

Last edited:
Thanks grantl and X. i'll cut the hell out of my wetsuit :D

Nice product and good idea btw, i've seen some adapted versions but never without zipper

Good week for y'all

We also have designed our suits to give the diver an option of cutting the pants down. Removing the upper portion will reduce the warmth of the suit, but it also provides some benefits: reduced buoyancy and the ability to relieve yourself without removing the entire jacket. This later issue might be really important to kayak divers or anyone who plans on wearing the suit all day.

http://www.makospearguns.com/Yamamoto-Reef-Camo-2-Piece-Open-Cell-Wetsuit-p/m2yrc.htm

A section of text from our yamamoto wetsuit description:

HIGH WAIST BOTTOMS OR FARMER JOHNS?
High Waist Bottons or Farmer Johns? You decide. Each suit comes with the Farmer John Bottoms for added warmth. However, if you prefer the High Waist Pants, no problem. We deliberately placed the upper seam in the appropriate spot to allow you, the diver to remove the shoulder straps by following (cutting) just above the strategically placed seam for a perfect and professional looking cut that will not fray. But, don't throw away the newly created tank top. You might want to save it for a chilly day.

M2YRC-2T.jpg

Sounds good. Hope you are not infringing Beuchat's patent. Hard to believe they could patent a seam.

I would not cut the pants down that low. My Elios suit's pants go well above the belly button/umbilicus and my Mares suit even higher - to the extent that a farmer john version would do little more than add shoulder straps and perhaps & inch or two of chest coverage. Of course it will depend on you personal needs & preferences but I like the extra torso insulation that a traditional high waist spearo pant provides.

Reactions: Joao Pedro
I've cut plenty lined outer suits and they've been fine.
Is the nylon outer "lining" securelybonded to the neoprene or do you need to secure it further with , say, neoprene glue or contact adhesive?

Actually, I know the answer to that, I have some samples that Elios sent me years ago when I bought my first suit: the nylon outer is bonded to the neoprene surface, it has to be when you think about it, although you can tear them apart. However, manufacturers usually finish exposed edges with stitching (perhaps "surged" with a surger?) - perhaps for robustness (to prevent fraying/delamination) and/or perhaps to give a proper finish.

I have some "low waist" pants on a thin Aqualand suit that I had made for warm water and competitions.

Above the belly button by 2-3" is more normal and my Elios ones are closer to 4" I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT