• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

DAN and drugs

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Bill

Baron of Breathold
Oct 17, 2001
After reading nine reasons why it's dangerous to have a glass of wine the night before a dive, this is what they say about marijuana.

>* The more marijuana is used, the shorter its effects last.
>* Tolerance to the psychoactive effects develops with continued use.
>* Psychological and mild physical dependence gradually

Am I reading this wrong or did they just say that sharing a joint on the way to the dive site is OK?

Maybe I should say nothing since I have no experience with one of these drugs and no current experience with the other but, that's not my style. Lousy end to that series.
Bill

Possible misread :)

Hi Bill,
After reading the article, I think it is a possible mis-read as far as the intent of the authors. It is unfortunate that the article barely addresses an issue that has been a hot-topic here, but it wasn't written w/ the forum in mind...
That being said, if I may rephrase the three points you mention:

">* The more marijuana is used, the shorter its effects last.<"
=Over time and with regular use, it takes more grass to achieve a high.

">* Tolerance to the psychoactive effects develops with continued use.<" =Smokers don't notice the effects of grass after awhile (see above)

">* Psychological and mild physical dependence gradually<"= Habitual use of pot can lead to mild physical and psycological addiction. 'Mild' meaning there are no 'withdrawal' symptoms.

So, no....the article is not meant in any way to condone the use of pot or alcohol at all.
The article comes across with pretty strong anti-drug and alcohol use statements...but they are mentioned under the particular 'headings' with each type of drug which may be why they appear to say less about pot use.
The important information to all prescription drug users is to read the label, speak openly w/ your doctor about the possible interaction of the drugs in question and diving.
If my understanding is correct, I believe DAN cannot write an article that simply lists drugs and say: "If you take this, you're fine. If you take THAT, you may not dive."
---Again, each individual is unique.

[[And before the grass-smoking contingent jumps my case here, lets all remember the oft-heard phrase, "Yeah, _____ is a 'lightweight'!" ---this in reference to someone who invariably gets incoherent on one hit (one inhalation)....and will be the very first to vehemently deny it.]]

We can make a prediction as to how drugs affect MOST people....but it is no guarantee.
It would be irresponsible to make a 'blanket judgement' and tell the public, 'fine, go ahead....'---or not, when a complete knowledge of an individual's history and a physical exam is necessary. This would need to be done by a professional who knows how to evaluate the information and make an appropriate interpretation of the data.

I hope this helps, Bill.....maybe someone else reading this can shed some more light ???

OceanSwimmer

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT