• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dancing with whales

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Daryl Wong

Jan 4, 2003
Aloha,

I posted this on spearboard and wanted to share this memorable encounter with the DB gang.

Each season our gang gets out and targets the blue water. The season coincides with the Humpback whale migration from Alaska. We often see them breaching, spouting and just laying around flapping thier fins and tails. On nice days we can hear them singing as if they were next to us.

Its nice to hear them sing since it helps break up the monotomy of blue water hunting. A few times we have had some awesome chance encounters. A few years ago, we got to dive with two whales that spent an hour "dancing" with us. I got some great whale photos and a lifetime worth of memories.

While my buddy Aron Coscone was visiting from Conneticutt, we had four whales come up to us. Two big males a mother and calf. Aron had his small digital camera on him and I had mine. We were drift diving and I didn't want to call the boat over for the video camera for fear of scaring them off.
So I just put my small Olympus digital on video and got a few minutes of great video. Too bad it wasn't sharper, but it was good enough to enjoy later. They came within five ft of us. I just put it on the website, but here is a link to check it out. I hope many of you can one day have an experience like this. They are so graceful and peaceful to watch.

Its times like this I forget about hunting and just enjoy the encounter.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfzgSO_LJvA]YouTube - Awesome Encounter[/ame]

Aloha, Daryl

Darly, wonderful as well as beautiful! No itching in the trigger finger?....:D

Very best regards
H!

Nice one Daryl, and like you said, what a memory!

Wow! Amazing footage! Look how close they got to you! That is incredible. I cannot wait to have these kinds of encounters while diving!!!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT