• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Danger to UK spearos

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
just read the article...i dont get it...what sort of CARP do you lads have in UK? 8000 pounds for a 40lb specimen?!?! Goldfish pond? :)

As for spearfishing, obviously the "journalists" has no idea what's all about - but they need news that sell the paper and for that harpooning sounds much more serious!

Freshwater angling, and carp fishing in particular, is a big business here in UK. All is catch and release though. Some lakes which purport to hold record size fish can charge astronomical day fees for fishing rights. Anglers are very well organised and well funded here in UK and all we need is more bad publicity like this and then Spearfishing suddenly becomes illegal........

Spaniard said:
Freshwater angling, and carp fishing in particular, is a big business here in UK. All is catch and release though. Some lakes which purport to hold record size fish can charge astronomical day fees for fishing rights. Anglers are very well organised and well funded here in UK and all we need is more bad publicity like this and then Spearfishing suddenly becomes illegal........

Even if they did legislate against spear fishing here in the U.K.
"They would have to take my gun from my cold dyeing hand"
:ko

Large carp can fetch very high prices (£0,000's) in the UK as stock fish for anglers, more so than as a dead 'delicacy' and poaching of live fish is becoming a very lucrative trade. If these Albanians really wanted to make some money, they should have joined the angling club, caught the damn fish on rod and line and sold it on to another angling syndicate...

The irony is that almost anywhere else than the UK, carp are considered trash fish!

As for being a delicacy, I was served carp whilst working in the FSU. The Sun would probably be more palatable!

yup, carp is usually far from delicacy - perhaps the wild variety, like the ones we sometimes catch in Danube Delta but certainly not the lazy fat ones pumped up to astronomical proportions by tonnes of boiles, corn, etc. But a great specimen, alive and kicking, can probably be a great deal if sold to another angling "sindicate". There's money in carp poaching, i lived to see this! Apparently the world record catch is still in Romania, a lake nearby Bucharest, too bad i dont live there any longer :)

here's a career path i might have overlooked! :)

podge said:

I think its important to keep your hands warm when colouring cloth... :mute :mute

As for the newspaper: "armed to the teeth"
hahaha what do you expect? Some of them mussels get huge!!! rofl

here in Oz the Fisheries had a simple solution: Anything living, that is of interest, in the ocean is legally known as "fish". Period. Proper fish are known as "finfish"... :martial

If you guys want carp, come over here! In one day, using a scoop net, I pulled more than a 100kg worth out of a creek during a spawning run! Stunk the place out when it was rotting on the side days later (carp must be killed here in Oz).

Shadowkiller said:
Stunk the place out when it was rotting on the side days later (carp must be killed here in Oz).

Not a delicacy down there i guess!rofl

Or here! Small ones can be cooked up decently when taken from clean water but the big ones are best plowed under for their nitrogen. And I'd love to see a carp big enough to need a harpoon . . . :D

Sergiu said:
Not a delicacy down there i guess!rofl

Nup, just a pest!

Mind you, our Fisheries spend hundreds of thousands restocking lakes with introduced trout, while spending thousands to eradicate the introduced carp.. :head

Reactions: Mr. X
Shadowkiller said:
I think its important to keep your hands warm when colouring cloth... :mute :mute

As for the newspaper: "armed to the teeth"
hahaha what do you expect? Some of them mussels get huge!!! rofl

here in Oz the Fisheries had a simple solution: Anything living, that is of interest, in the ocean is legally known as "fish". Period. Proper fish are known as "finfish"... :martial

If you guys want carp, come over here! In one day, using a scoop net, I pulled more than a 100kg worth out of a creek during a spawning run! Stunk the place out when it was rotting on the side days later (carp must be killed here in Oz).

Shadowkiller I’m at work while typing all of my replies therefore no time to think BOSS could be just around the corner must think fast must type fast must save the world!!!!!!
Dying, Dying, Dying
How’s that???:) :) :) :)

hahaha, its juts that the juxtaposition amused me somewhat! Its not often a simple speeling mistake makes for a funny quote! :)

No offence intended :friday

Shadowkiller said:
hahaha, its juts that the juxtaposition amused me somewhat! Its not often a simple speeling mistake makes for a funny quote! :)

No offence intended :friday

Shadowkiller
No offence taken mate:) :) :)

podge said:
:ko
That can be arranged y'know. You're not a UN Weapons Inspector are you by any chance? [Evil laugh echoing in the background].

Say Sarge, would you happen to know of carp falls under those Fish and Game guidelines of species that must not be wasted? I'm all for using them for mulch, and some people do eat them.

This is not good news! Albanians eat our normal stock fish :vangry

I've chased off Albanians from my local river Wandle. I've worked hard to keep it clean with lots of others and we finally have trout back in the London chalk river. So imagine my surprise when I caught some Albanians netting course fish out the river... Well I'm not ussally a violent man but :ko

Cheers,

SD

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT