• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

DCI after freediving to 4 meters...?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Dec 6, 2017
Hello freediving friends !

I see a few posts on this item her, but still want to check out if anyone could add something.
I had a patient recently (I work as a neuropsychologist) who have many persisting symptoms compatible with DCI, bot neurological, cognitive and skin changes.
She was diving to 4 meters and had a very quick and forcefull ascent due to panic. Because of bad instructions she emptied her lungs instead of equalizing (she had not been told that the nose should be blocked to equalize....).
Anyone who has any information to share is very welcome to respond.

Best regards
Norwegian Dolphin

Its not possible to get DCI from 4m on a breathhold, even with a sprint ascent.

-at the end of a session after 5x30m dives with bottom hangs, I did a print ascent from 40m (18 seconds ascent) and didn't suffer any DCI (I followed proper surface intervals for freediving, at least depth/6 but generally much longer)

-exhaling air (her un-pinched nose EQ method) would further reduce the risk of DCI. The lower lung volume can reduce the uptake of N2 during a DEEP dive. Again, I think its impossible to get any type of DCI from such a shallow dive even on Scuba. 100% O2 isnt even toxic at that depth.

Its not possible to get DCI from 4m on a breathhold, even with a sprint ascent.

-at the end of a session after 5x30m dives with bottom hangs, I did a print ascent from 40m (18 seconds ascent) and didn't suffer any DCI (I followed proper surface intervals for freediving, at least depth/6 but generally much longer)

-exhaling air (her un-pinched nose EQ method) would further reduce the risk of DCI. The lower lung volume can reduce the uptake of N2 during a DEEP dive. Again, I think its impossible to get any type of DCI from such a shallow dive even on Scuba. 100% O2 isnt even toxic at that depth.

Thanks Nathan,
What you write is in accordance with my knowledge also.

Ragards
Terje

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT