• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Deep diving in the med

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Mufazalov

Dec 25, 2010
Hi spearos!
As Cyprus became surrounded by dark black clouds with winds up to 40mph (therefore - no diving whatsoever) I decided to upload my latest video.
The video is shot at a new location, which (according to Garmin/Navionics) is around 50m deep. I will definitely check the depth once my suunto is fixed, but for now, most ascends were around a minute... Probably the place is deeper than 35-38m.
Enjoy in HD.

Video is shot with constant weights, and no, you dont have to go that deep to shoot fish in the Med. But for me the feeling of opening new heavens is too strong to neglect :)

Reactions: Kars and MozSpearer
Great video and impressive diving!

Just stay safe, as I look forward to being able to watching more of your deep adventures for years to come!

It'd be a pain if the fish holed-up in the rocks / reef at 35+m and you had to wrestle him out.

It's deep diving like that where I'd really like a white float line, a capable buddy and a FRV.

I dunno about the med... or Garmin, But in Canada I've been SUPER impressed by the depth readings of the Navionics nautical maps.

It's accurate to the foot! I study an area to dive on the maps for a while... And when I finally dive the spot, It's scary - its like déjà vu and I've already been there!

Great video Anvar!

I spearfish in North Cyprus almost every summer, but I never really get the chance to go past 15-18m (no capable dive buddy).
And I've never seen the habitat at the bottom to be as diverse as that! Usually all I ever see is bare rocks, dense kelp or sand.

If you don't mind me asking, roughly where were you diving? From which town/area of North Cyprus?

Thanks,
Erdi

Great video Anvar!

I spearfish in North Cyprus almost every summer, but I never really get the chance to go past 15-18m (no capable dive buddy).
And I've never seen the habitat at the bottom to be as diverse as that! Usually all I ever see is bare rocks, dense kelp or sand.

If you don't mind me asking, roughly where were you diving? From which town/area of North Cyprus?

Thanks,
Erdi

Hi Erdi, good to see a potential neighbour on DeeperBlue :)
The fish here is very scarce. But when you go past 30/35 everything changes... :)

This video was shot in Lapta/Karsiyaka.
I live in Kyrenia and given the opportunity, love diving with new spearos :)

Amazing! I wouldn't be comfortable diving beyond 20-25m just yet, but given some constant practice and a reliable dive partner that would be likely to change.

I'm not sure I've ever dived in Lapta! I have family in Yedi Dalga and also Magusa. I've dived a lot of areas, just not to those depths unfortunately.

Next time I'm in Cyprus I'll have to remember to send you a message, it would be great to finally dive with someone experienced :)

Reactions: Mufazalov
Great video, Mufazalov! Those are really great bottom times for being that deep. I'll be sure to watch out for more of your videos.

Jake

@FreeDivingJake, thanks man :)

@Erdi, yes, sure. Just drop me an email etc. Or, in fact, put a note in your phone's calendar to some day in Summer about the diving trip :) That will do it

Reactions: Erdi
Hi Erdi, good to see a potential neighbour on DeeperBlue :)
The fish here is very scarce. But when you go past 30/35 everything changes... :)

This video was shot in Lapta/Karsiyaka.
I live in Kyrenia and given the opportunity, love diving with new spearos :)

Hey @Mufazalov , 3 years later and I'm sending you a message :D

I'll be in North Cyprus from the 27th August - 12th September.
I've sent you a message on Instagram and YouTube also.

Let me know if you're around, would be great to meet up. I'll be staying in Girne and travelling around, visiting Karpaz to do some fishing there also :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT