• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Deep fried turkey

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Huan

Jul 4, 2004
Ok a little late but anytime is a good time to eat fried turkey.
and anyway I just downloaded the pics from the 25th.

18lb turkey
20 litres of peanut oil (sunflower will do)

Thawed and giblets removed
Turkey Rub:
1 1/2 Teaspoons Crushed chilli
1 1/2 Teaspoons Black Pepper
1/2 Teaspoon Msg or Aji-no-moto
1 1/2 Teaspoons Chilli Powder
1 1/2 Teaspoons Garlic Powder
3 Tablespoons Salt

I rubbed this mix into the turkey 12 hours before the bird was fried.
and left it in the fridge to bond with the bird.

Take your propane burner and big pot outside and add the oil and bring to temp approximately 350ºF or 180ºC.
Take the bird and place it on the stand and slowly I repeat slowly lower it into the oil.
You may wish to lower the bird in like a naked man enters the arctic ocean. Bit by bit until the whole thing is submerged.
78884295_e12af56114.jpg

Now at this point you should have a timer ready to go, the calculation for a turkey over 12lbs and up to 18 lbs is 3 & 1/2minutes per pound exactly.
Smaller birds up to 10-12 lbs will need only 3 minutes per pound
Watch the temp, you don't want to smoke the oil its expensive and is ruined if you overheat it.

78884296_1d67322deb.jpg

When the timer goes slowly remove the turkey and put it in a big roasting dish and cover with foil leave for 20+ minutes in order to allow the meat to relax.
I recommend that you do the same with a beer at this time.
The turkey will "sweat" and the juice that comes off makes a great gravy.
78884297_628b68cdc7.jpg

Realistically this bird was about the largest that you could reasonably expect to cook.
I recommend a bird of 14 lbs or so as being much more manageable and faster to cook.
Enjoy it!

Last edited:
Deep fried turkey . . . in Ireland?? Man, bubba cuisine is really spreading over the planet! Unfortunately, it tends to make bubba spread, as well. But . . . once a year won't hurt you . . . even twice, and it is sooooo good!

I cut down by not making the Hush Puppies!
It must be the best way of cooking turkey that I know of.
I got the Burner when I was in Beaufort NC tagging Bluefin a couple of years ago.
I had never heard of frying turkey before I went but some of the other guys were raving about it and eventually I managed to get my hands on one before I left.
Now several of my mates here have bought them too.
Beats roasting a bird for hours.

Last edited:
Sounds good Huan!

Won't it be easier, cheaper and save the use of 18 liters of oil if you just cut it into several chunks like in KFC, you'll need much less oil and less time!

Said

It would, but "Presentation" is half the meal . . . the small half, of course!

Did you watch the Christmas edition of Coronation Street (deep fried turkey burns chip shop down) or one of those "home on fire" videos from America? Best one: the guy who fried his chicken in the garage, the fat ignited (apparently not that uncommon) and set the garage on fire & then the house; incredibly the guy had the presence on mind to video the whole thing including his home burning down:duh. [Is that your home just behind the fryer, gulp?]

Reactions: foxfish
Freediver81 said:
Huan was smart enough to do it outdoors!

Said
I know Huan is very smart. I also realise that he is outside but I saw a fire dept. on US TV show one going up -- they shoot a huge flame directly up, maybe 6-12 feet. [Chip pan fires used to be fairly common round here -- a weekender up the road put their flaming pan out of the window once (a better response would be to smoother with a damp tea cloth) -- unfortunately they had a thatch roof coming right down over the kitchen window & set the roof alight. Fortunately the local fire men know how to deal with it (pull the wire off & remove a section of the thatch) -- not much damage done, considering].

Reactions: SurfnSpear
Mmmmmmm DFT yum yum!

haven't done one in a few years, should really change that. one tip. buy a mop handle and use one guy at each end to raise and lower the bird. saves skin. :D

Amphibious said:
Mmmmmmm DFT yum yum!

haven't done one in a few years, should really change that. one tip. buy a mop handle and use one guy at each end to raise and lower the bird. saves skin. :D
Yeah that is probably the smart way to do it, I ain't that smart...
Plus it is more manly doing it by oneself.
I injected the bird with a spicy marinade before I fried it, to give it more kick.
one of the ingredients was hot sauce but I had problems the biggest needle was a 14 gauge and that was too narrow to allow all the bits in the marinade to go down, I ended up having to sieve the marinade to allow it to be injected into the bird.

Reactions: Oldsarge
Get on of those injector tips for a bulb baster. I've used them to inject lemon and rosemary into chickens for a Greek-ish flavor. They ought to work for marinade. For that matter, try the hot sauce in this section under Prawns Mozambique. It works a treat on poultry.

Thanks Oldsarge
Yep got me a couple of nice Injectors a big one for making my own Hams and a smaller one for the next time I let Bubba out of the box;)
Now, where was that Peri peri mayonnaise recipe?..

:p :p :p Nando's and Kraft 'Miracle Whip':p:p:p
But...I guess more satisfaction if you make your own peri-peri!

Another tip - don't put too much oil in the kettle - oil expands when it heats, add to that the volume of the bird and you can easily overflow your kettle.

Just make sure they do it outside and away from flammable, overhanging vegetation . . . and watch out for the ol' eyebrows!

Reactions: mintzak
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT