• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Deep Sea Creatures washed up in Phuket

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

island_sands

Erection Supervisor ;)
Supporter
Jan 19, 2001
Have any of you seen these? some of these are animals that you would never see, they are too deep. i saw some of these on the Deep Blue Planet series.

I got these on email today, apparently they were washed up on the beach in Phuket. Interesting creatures.

Attachments

• chimaera_fish.jpg
    chimaera_fish.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 1,647
  • prickly_shark.jpg
    prickly_shark.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 636
  • hatchetfish.jpg
    hatchetfish.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 439
  • fangtooth.jpg
    fangtooth.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 534
  • umbrella_mouth_gulper_eel.jpg
    umbrella_mouth_gulper_eel.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 415
here's more... not very appetising looking. actually some of these photos look like they were taken from deep sea fisheries.. but they are worth squizzing at anyway!

Attachments

• viperfish.jpg
    viperfish.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 928
  • lizard_fish.jpg
    lizard_fish.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 381
  • blind_lobster.jpg
    blind_lobster.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 387
  • blob_fish.jpg
    blob_fish.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 350
  • gunard.jpg
    gunard.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 823
Last edited:
Deep sea fish?
Ugghhh! When I was in primary school they used to have deep sea fish for dinner! If only I'd known :yack

ugh! it was the custard at school dinners that made me pewk...

:yack :yack

i saw #3-4 on the first post on tv and #4too in the second post..They seemed very cool on tv. Some of them have flashlight things to attract their preys :)

geeeeeee thanks again
i have recuved those photos 36 hours ago
amezing
the ugly sceary one is a hook fifh
baaaa

10x Sara!
I have a strange fascination for wierd animals. :)
Can't karminate you again yet.

rcerdena said:
Any recepies to cook them? lol
Gawd! Do yourself a favour! Dont even think about it! Dark brown and soggy :yack It put me off eating fish for over 15 or so years.

LOL can you imagine the look on people's faces if you put one of those on the BBQ rofl

I find this very interesting, but I have a couple of questions?
a. Are these species native to near Thailand or are they found throughout the
oceans?

b. Could they have been brought ashore by the Tsunami? (Probably a dumb question I know, but I'm still curious if the Surge had anything to do with it since they love so far down)

Sorry Alison but I remeber a funny story describing hell as a place were the chefs were from The Brittish islands :t rofl .

BB :eek:

Brutta Borsa said:
Sorry Alison but I remeber a funny story describing hell as a place were the chefs were from The Brittish islands :t rofl .

BB :eek:
Many a true word spoken in jest but in this case :hmm
Yeah your spot on. One thing I didnt miss whilst I lived overseas was the British cuisine :ban

Sorry folks these are a hoax.
see the link below
I have seen a few of these fish , back in the days when I fished in the deepwater fisheries in New Zealand.
There are some weird things down there, and some of these fish are just plain inedible.
I remember giving a guy a Bairds smoothhead for a laugh , He came back and told me that he started to fry it and it dissolved into jelly! rofl

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/item.php?news=546

Last edited:
those Chimaera are definitely not a hoax. Chimaera live from 150m downwards, and are rarely seen by diver.. that's exactly what i meant.. they are probably from deepwater fisheries.. they are not species commonly seen by divers.
Those hatchet fish live at very deep depths.

Huan said:
Sorry folks these are a hoax.
see the link below
I have seen a few of these fish , back in the days when I fished in the deepwater fisheries in New Zealand.
There are some weird things down there, and some of these fish are just plain inedible.
I remember giving a guy a Bairds smoothhead for a laugh , He came back and told me that he started to fry it and it dissolved into jelly! rofl

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/item.php?news=546

Sands , I didn't mean that these fish were a Hoax but the fact that they were claimed to have been washed up on a Thai beach was a hoax.

Reactions: island_sands
Huan said:
Sands , I didn't mean that these fish were a Hoax but the fact that they were claimed to have been washed up on a Thai beach was a hoax.

In my second posting i did say that they looked more like photos from deep sea fisheries, as it was too good to be true! I spent ages yesterday trying to find an article about it on the i-net, well done you! how did you find that?

i did searches combining washed up deep sea fish Phuket etc and got nothing except articles on depleted fish stocks or bodies getting washed up.. :yack

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT