• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

DeeperBlue & Google Searches are now rubbish

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Mr. X

Forum Mentor
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Jul 14, 2005
Hi,
DeeperBlue searches used to be almost perfect. Since the upgrade they have become rubbish -- completely unusable. (Google itself appears to have become less effective in the last 6 weeks -- others have also noticed).

Not only does it never find a relevant thread but, even worse, it return lots of irrelevant links. At least part of the problem appears to be that it is finding text in your "top 10 links" sections. Unfortunately, when you click the links, the top 10 links have always changed -- & so has our chance of finding the thread. Also, you do not display the view cached page option that in Google allows you to view the old version of the page (& find that old top 10 link).

Suggestion: fix the search & then add a search box (like eBay) to the header on each page.

In what way? What are you searching for? It seems to be working fine for me, Ive just made a couple of random searches and the returns were spot on. Google is working fine too. Still not found the meaning of life though :(

Reactions: island_sands
Pastor said:
In what way? What are you searching for? It seems to be working fine for me, Ive just made a couple of random searches and the returns were spot on. Google is working fine too. Still not found the meaning of life though :(
Everything recently. For example, trying to find the South Devon spearo thread using: "Devon, "South Devon" & even "South Devon Report 2006" ...just picks up a complete load of b*ll*cks.

Hang on, I take back part of that -- going to Google.com find "South Devon Report 2006" immediately - excellent. However, the above applies to searches done within DeeperBlue.net.

BTW I notice that DeeperBlue have added a search box in the header of some pages (per previous suggestion & in my earlier post)...but oddly not into the forum header (where it would be most use).

Last edited:
Mr X

The new Google Search that we are using on the rest of the site is still being tested and tweaked. What i've noticed is that it only returns results from the www.deeperblue.net domain and not any of the others (such as forums.deeperblue.net) i'll work on that this morning.

We don't include the site search in the forum pages because the forums have their own search engine available. Although we are currently tendering for a new design which will include new searching elements as well.

Stephan Whelan said:
We don't include the site search in the forum pages because the forums have their own search engine available. Although we are currently tendering for a new design which will include new searching elements as well.
..so it does, I totally missed that :duh :head

Mr X.

I've just applied the changes that make the search global on the site. It should now return results from the forums as well.

However you should also make sure you use the forum search functionality available at the top of the page as that is the best way of finding forum threads (the site search is likely to be several hours behind)

Reactions: naiad
That was quick. Excellent - thanks :).

Seems to be broken again -- just gets articles. (Would be usable if Google's "cached page" link were available).

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT