• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dentex 1,2,3,4 errr 5?????

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

shaneshac

FIN TRASHER
Oct 8, 2002
Here is this evenings catch.

I could have continued but called it a day at five. With the first shot i managed to catch the 2 dentex ;)

The fish just kept getting bigger and the airgun i was using did not give them a chance. Only one nearly got away as you can see by hte gash in its stomach.

Enjoy...................

Dentex are in the same family as the red snapper.

Probably the best fish i have eaten :p

Great job, Shane! I know that is a very hard, technical catch! Awesome. Is your airgun modified like mambasub? Enjoy your dinner :)

Angelos

Yes Angelos it is.

Maorisub Mamba kitted it out for me.

I ate one last night with my dad. Finished it off today for lunch.

:p

i am wondering very much what did dapiran said you about those dentex. May be you like to pm soon:D :D :D other than serious apnea of course:cool:

Great catch!!

What is your average total dive time when you spear these fish?

I heard these fish can take 3+ min bottom times to get close!!

Later,
Brandon

Hey Brandon,

There is a lot of myticism surrounding this fish and they are considered as one of the most intelligent fish in the med.

They have highly developed senses and where the water is very clear they are a nightmare to catch. They have also been the cause for many a SWB. They tend to hang about just out of range and a bigger one always lurks in the background.

In this instance i think it was being at the right place at the right time as i have never seen dentex this aggressive. They were on the hunt in green water and any movement would attract the school right in.

My apneas were between 1 and 2 minutes for all the catches. Dentex can suprise you by sprinting in as you touch bottom or they might not appear until you are about to leave the botttom for the surface. All in all a difficult fish to catch ;)

Dentex

Tremenda Pesca Shaca! Those sure are some shiny fish. How much did the biggest one weigh?

The fish ranged between 1.9 and 3 kilos.

Dentex are usually quite lean and a 3 kilo dentex is about as large as a 4-5 kilo orata (Gilthead Bream)

The colours are awesome. THey can go from bright purple, to pink to orange and even have white lines over their face when hunting

From the behaviour and the kind of fishing that these fishes demand, this ones would be our ''dentex'' in the Pacific, Southamerica, from Peru to Chile.
We always talk that these fishes have also developed senses...if you are with a 100cm gun, they are 10 cms away from range, if you are with a 120cm gun...again 10 cm away from range...they sourround you, look at you and swim as if they were saying to you ''hey dude, look at me, Im here''.
The fishing takes a lot of patience, long apneas and sometimes a bit of luck. Its better to find them under the algae or in holes, but if they are just swimming...once you turn all blue from the apnea and you have to go up, they approach just a bit...and man they know how to move to avoid spears!
A nice challenge! Nice fish too, and tastes good!

Cheers to all the spearos,

Roberto

Attachments

• matarani vieja.jpg
    matarani vieja.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 414
Reactions: Murat
Murat:
yes it tastes very good, and we find them kind of good looking fishes.

Roberto

Originally posted by rcerdena
and we find them kind of good looking fishes.

Roberto

:confused:

I hope the girls there are not like thatrofl

Ok Ok just kidding no offense:blackeye

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT