• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

depth for fishing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hi Amphibious,

Your profile one looks much like mine: hit bottom first, then slow rise, finish with a faster ascent. That seems to get me more bottom and search time for the same effort. I thought that was the norm until I dove with unirdna, who uses a totally different profile.

Why do you use that profile?

Connor

hunting walls on those dives, so either checking out an out cropping/caves or, as in the second dive. bombing to the bottom and wait to see if anything gets curious and sticks it head out. both dives from the redsea a few weeks ago. dove much deeper on that trip (120ft viz helps) but my batteries died the first day out, so no more D3 :hmm

Last edited:
Hey,
I fish the Gulf of Mexico off the Mississippi and Louisiana coast. 35 to 60 feet is average but on some the the deeper rig out he mouth of the Mississippi river (40 to 50 miles out) we may have to got to 100 + feet to spear the big ones. I too like to stay around 50 feet if possible. Anyone else dive the gulf.
Happy fishing
Haas

I dive where the fish are at. In south Brittany (France) we have great fish that eat mussels just below the surface in the rough water so we shoot them from below in 3 meters. Most of my bass I take using aspetto between 3 and 8 meters and occasionnally down to 25 meters in wrecks.

I forgot to add, most of the time waiting for more than 1m30 is pointless, best move along quickly and dive again. It's better to spend 1m bottom time with 1m recovery time than 2m bottom time with 3m recovery.

Well for here the fish arrive about 50sec to 1:20 secs so most dives for me are at least a minute and more like around the 1:15 mark... I like to have at least 1:30 on the surface and more like 2 mins to 2:30 *(this is in shallow water about 3m to 6m)

Ed (Guernsey - just up a bit from Brittany mon frere ! By the way what are the mussel eating fish ??)

portinfer said:
Ed (Guernsey - just up a bit from Brittany mon frere ! By the way what are the mussel eating fish ??)
I hope he doesn't mean Wrasse! :yack
Maybe Gilthead's they can eat mussels

Gilt heads, Sar (I don't know what they're called in English) and black bream.

Last edited by a moderator:
As FUZZ said, "I normally hunt from 1-10ft. Never shot a fish deeper than 12ft. My deepest dive has been 20ft."

I second that entire statement. We ought to get together on this Nor. Cal. spearfishing thing. I have never dove much over 20 feet and likewise have never found many fish deeper than 10-12. I don't know why either. Maybe because I wear glasses and don't have prescription lenses and can't see anything while I'm down there not to mention I don't have much bottom time.

Hello Murat
I must have an PC interface for my D3 too.But i think its litlle pricey??
Aydın

Murat and Aydin,
There is a guy in Madrid who makes interfaces for the D3 at around 30 euros, www.geocities.com/suuntointerface Transport to Turkey/Cyprus would raise the price but it would still be cheaper than the original. I'm thinking of getting one. The site is in Spanish but he may speak English, if not, let me know and I can translate for you.

Adrian

Funny, I sent Murat a private message with a site that shows how to build them yourself (if you have some electrical knowledge, which I don't). Also saw that they are found on e-bay as cheap as 15$.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…