• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Depth of diving with goggles.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Kilka

Jul 12, 2010
I did a search since this is likely a newb question but couldn't find anything.

How deep can one safely dive with goggles? I realize things like this depends on the individual, but what depth would be considered OK for a beginner (or is anything beyond swimming at the surface a no-no)?

Thanks,

Kilka

Hi Kilka,

You're talking about just normal swimming goggles correct?

Swimming goggles aren't really designed with compression at depth in mind, so the pressure change won't really be absorbed by the goggle, rather it will be absorbed by the eye.

The pressure at 10m is twice that of the surface so any airspace in your goggle will be halved, and the only thing taking up this space will be eyeball/surrounding skin which will definitely not be fun.

Me personally, I get discomfort after about 3m in a pool when wearing goggles. I think i've gone to about 4m in a deep pool with them but I do not recommend that at all.

Get yourself a full mask, or there are some swimming goggles on the market that have a nosepiece as well and still remain reasonably slimline.

Cheers,
Ben

Benny,

I do have a proper mask, but I brought up the goggles because the ones I have fit me very perfectly (I'm working on getting a better mask).

The goggles are actually more like a mask without the nosepiece (the skirt is quite large so the pressure will be distributed better than on regular swimming goggles).

I'm very new to diving so I can't even get to 10m yet (about 5m is my max). My main concern was safety, and also of course the inability to equalize the pressure in goggles.

Hi Kilka, you cann't equalize air pressure in swimm googles so it is not for diving unless you fill it 100% with water, but it is useless then :)

or you can add a small tube like these, to equalize them with your mouth if you're taking them very deep (this is my son):
occhialini0100.jpg

If you dive the Technisub Aquasphere goggles (like a sphera mask without the nose pocket), and if you full inflate the goggle before going down, then it is possible to dive to 15-17m without equalizing the goggle. This can be nice since you have perfect vision and you have the fun of feeling the water around your nose.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT