• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

design

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

sbuoncri

Dec 27, 2004
Hi all,

I'm about to take on a home made speargun project and i wanted input from some experienced craftsmen to create my preliminary design. I looked at some of the specs recommended by steve alexander for his guns and the 46 inch model is 1.5 inches from the track side to the bottom. I understand vertical laminations re enforce a teak stock quite a bit, however I’d like to make the gun as thin as possible being powered with about 200 pounds max band power.

sbuoncri

200 pounds= 2 x 16mm bands. What is the lenght you want to make your gun?

With this power, it'll be probably better for you to make an Euro style wood gun, that are thinner. American guns are generally made for more power, so they're bigger. But the basic is the same

You can follow the instructions of Alexander, but adapt it to a smaller version, and look at euro guns for the design. Watch for the trigger mech size, it can't be higher than the gun barrel!!!

My idea was to create a speargun with the beauty of an american wood speargun but as delicate as a euro (not to mention noise reduction). I'm aware there are plenty of products that are similar, but i know i dont need to explain the pleasure in creating your own equipment. I'm planning a 46 inch stock with vertical laminates. As of now im thinking of knocking off an eighth of an inch or so (1 3/8") but my only concern is barrel flex.

sbuoncri

Last edited:
I'm sure that folks already know some of this stuff but I'll add some of my limited knowledge about wood here.

Within most trees you'll find wood density that varies depending on where the wood comes from within the tree. When you look through a pile of boards that are all dried to the same moisture level you'll find some that are more dense than the rest. To be more certain that I don't have to do any ballasting for my finished gun I've always chosen the most dense boards from the pile for the guns I've built. I've been using red oak for the most recent guns that I've built. Red oak is a strong, dense wood that I have good access to.

Trees that have spent a lot of their lives exposed to higher winds have a lot of stresses (twist, bow) grown into the wood and those stresses like to "unwind" over time after the wood has been cut. The twist makes for interesting grain but will likely continue to unwind over time. I choose the straitest strait grained boards in the pile.

As far as the specific strength of any particular piece of wood I would say that you can't count on there not being a weak area running through any particular piece of wood which I think is why many wood guns are formed from different pieces of wood. In my experience it seems that denser pieces of wood have more strength and stiffness.

Hope that's useful information. :)

Last edited:
1 3/8 is pretty thin especially if you're using a softer wood like mahogany. I would stick to 1.5 or thicker in the middle where it is most critical and taper it to 1 3/8 towards the front and back.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT