• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Devils Lake Sept 8

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Update- I stopped by 3 little devils today- to pick up a couple weights. I talked to the guy in the shop and he said Registration starts at 9:30am AT THE SHOP. When you Reg. they will give you a packet. They will have a tent set up on the north end for Food. Sounds like there will be lots of Scuba people. A more detailed Directions to the North end and 3LD is - I90/94 North- HWY 33 West- to Baraboo- Left onto Hwy 123 South- Follow 123 south till you get to the North Shore entrance- 3 little Devils is on the Left hand Side- Right before that - you HAVE to Register there.

Weather report for saturday looks good no mention of rain thanks Whopperhead for posting all the details hope we score big over the scuba divers

Well, I had fun today picking up Garbage out of Devils Lake. I didn't meet up with Cigarlung & ILDiver till the event was almost over:head - I saw lots of Bass and one Hughmungo Bass well over 20" - I didn't have a tape measure so- not real sure on it size- But it's the biggest Bass I've seen-

The Freedivers of Deeperblue were a little out numbered today about 178 to 3. I managed to gather 4 Cans, 1 plastic water bottle, 3 fishing lures, a broken fishing pole, a plastic cup, a Pad from a womens swimsuit (in the Bra area) Lots and Lots of fishing line, and a partridge in a pear tree:friday

I only got 2 hours of sleep today- So, I will post more pics later.
020106NA1_prv.gif

Attachments

• IMG_0005-2.jpg
    IMG_0005-2.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_0007-2.jpg
    IMG_0007-2.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 176
I found most of my trash on the shore by the railroad tracks. The water was great after my initial incident. Not sure what my problem was but we got going and my head just wasn't right and I started feeling nauseous. So the first venture out was kinda short. I got some water and we hung out for a minute, then we headed over to the west side of the lake. Apparently just a bit behind Whopperhead.

We dropped in and this go was much better. I hit the bottom at 15' comfortably. Then we headed out towards the middle on the north end there and found 30'. I did ok down to the silt layer, then that's where I started to get a little nervous and lost my focus. I held it together and managed to stay at 30' for a few seconds, but my chest got tight and uncomfortable. As soon as I left 30' and got to about 25 I was fine and felt like I could stay there for a lot longer, but instead I headed to the surface at a calm climb and didn't push anything. I don't understand all the feelings and signals from my body yet and SWB scares me!

Whopperhead, I'm sorry we missed meeting up at the start. Honestly I was pretty confused as to where exactly we were going to meet. I didn't know there were so many places to park. Then all the bikers and hikers were swarming. Cell phone number exchange would have been smart, but of course in all the excitement I didn't think of that till I got there! All in all a fair day in the water. 9 hours of driving and 3.5 - 4 hours in the water. Not too bad.

Thanks guys, I hope to get back up there soon!

Just a couple more pics. I would be interested to see the clarity there when it gets alittle cooler. Vis was about 8-10' max, Surface temp was 74.4 degrees. Vis actually got worse as you got closer to the bottom.

062802pirat_prv.gif

Attachments

• IMG_0020.JPG
    IMG_0020.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_0029.JPG
    IMG_0029.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 175
Here's a Little Clip- i wish I had met up with Cigarlung and ILDiver to get some Video of them- NEXT TIME - and with MY NEW CAMERA!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys!

I was looking all over for You. Too bad I did't find You but it was great anyway. Whopperhead, I saw the same bass. I did great with the garbage too, actually I was better than scuba divers and I got like two huge trash bags completely full, they were so heavy but I got smart. I was sending them up with the lift bag, I went all the way down to the bottom and I'd fill them up using small tank. On the way up I've seen this huge fish and right after that, before I came back to the surface I woke up. It was awful cause it was great dream. Sorry guys I didn't make it.

Scott, what camera did You buy?

I didn't bring my new camera - BUT, I bought a JVC GZ-HD7 - it's a 60gb High Def. And for my Housing I got a Ikelite. I thought about bringing it- but I thought I would be picking up too much trash to do any video- Plus I think I want my 1st experience with it to be in Clear Water- I think I might go to Lake Mich with Bgill on the 17th- Hopefully. Then I should be able to have decent vis. You had me going there for a little bit- I was thinking "how did I not see him?" ;)

I was looking at this camera for couple months now. I know it's 60 Gb drive and it is also 3CCD, I had it in my hands, looks great, picture is beautifull too (and full HD resolution). I am not sure what kind of file You get when You transfer the footage to computer drive for editing. Is it quicktime? If it's MPEG-2 then it's pain for editing. Would You find it out for me please? And is there 24 frames recording?

Don't forget to put UV filter to protect the lens, here's nice set You should get if You don't have it yet
Hoya | 46 mm Introductory Filter Kit | GIK46GB | B&H Photo Video

I thought that too when I read the first line. Then I thought, no way I would have seen that van from the video!

Oh, I see this "shaky" van is being recognized now...:t

thanks to Ceson's wife, Jodi ofcourse

Last edited:
I did buy the UV for it- I'll check on the rest tomorrow (9/10) For some reason I was thinking it was MPEG2. It also came with it's own editing software - that I haven't had a chance to look at yet.

Last edited:
Nostres - The files are MPEG2 and the frames are 29.97 fps - But I believe can bet changed to 23.97 fps. I'm not sure- But I don't think the Cam will not fit in the housing with the UV filter on. I also picked up a 'Green Water' filter lenz for the Housing - Seeing how we have plenty of Green water around here. My Wife still doesn't know I have it - So I have to wait till she's out of the house to play with it.
110106NA22_prv.gif

Shame on you Whopperhead! :naughty

:t Boys & thier TOYS!!!!!! :t

See ya on the 17th! Hopefully you won't NEED that green water filter then!!!

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT