• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Diet and cold tolerance

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

JasonWelbourne

Aug 17, 2004
I am thinking about redoing my diet to better support my newly found lifestyle. I would like to know what this community eats and what kind of cold tolerance you all have.

Basically this is what I am looking for...
This is my current diet

Daily: Brown Rice, Hominy, Cheese, Corn Chips (Made without transfat), Bread, Tea, Carrots, Onions, Garlic, Water, Soy Sauce, Olive Oil
Weekly: Avocados, Tomatos, Bannanas, Kosher Fish, Salsa, Grapeseed Oil
Monthly: Unprocessed red meat, Cola, Ice cream
Never: Pork, Ground Beef, Bird (Chicken, Turkey)

I dive once a week in a quarry. The surface is ~75F. The first thermocline is at 10m and the temp drops to ~50F. I have never been below 20m, but I know there is another thermocline at ~26m that drops to ~ 40F. I dive for about 8 hoursat a stretch. I usually stay in the water the whole time. I feel the thrmocline when I descend past 10 meters. It is a shock. It makes it hard to equalize. I dive without a wetsuit. Just a bathing suit. Still, after a few dives to acclimate myself to the thermocline, it is no problem. I feel slightly clhilled when I ascend, but I can still dive nothing but 20m dives back to back with 3 minutes for breathing in between for an hour without getting even the slightest symptoms of hypothermia. Also, I work in the retail industry, where I spend about 4 hours a day in a cooler.

I would say my cold tolerance is good, but I doubt I could deal with 40F water without a wetsuit for any length of time. I doubt I would even have the sense to equalize in water that cold.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…