• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dir / Stroke ?????????????

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Sharky

Deeper Blue Beer Taster
Oct 19, 2002
OK---- what is the difference between a DIR and a STROKE?????
Am I missing some thing in my life or have I not done the right PADI course. Some one please tell me.

( I bet I will be the laughing-stock after this:eek: )

BEEN READING THE REC.SCUBA?

a dir diver is someone that follows the hogarthian style of diving (also called dir - do it right)
check out this article, a good article but slightly biased

a stroke on the other hand is someone who dives "unsafely" (according to DIR divers), this might include diving alone, trusting a computer to do all the calculations, no have a competent buddy, and many other "offences"

thats just a quick explaination, im sure someone else will fill in the blanks

Originally posted by Sharky
have I not done the right PADI course.

According to DIR, there is no such thing as a "right" PADI course. But I think PADI serves a purpose, and is slagged off too much as the bad guy....mainly because they're the biggest I think.
If you are really keen, and like diving, then seek out information and more training. I do like the Hogarthian philosophy, up to the point when someone says "this is correct, there is no other way, I am 100% correct, you are 100% wrong, and you are therefore an idiot". We've had a few examples of that kind of thinking in the past....Nietzsche, Mao, Hitler....
The thing that turns a lot of people away from DIR and the philosophy that goes with it are some of the mouthpieces who abuse the philosophy to promote themselves. Some of their leaders are intelligent and diplomatic, but there are some exceptions in the followers.
Keep diving, be safe, practice your skills, and make your own opinion based on experience, not what others have done. I've met a fair few "internet tech-divers" who have never worn a pair of doubles or even taken a Nitrox course....even a PADI Nitrox course ;)
Cheers,
Erik Y.
there you go Stephan, that should get the SCUBA guys on board!

???????

Gents
From what I have read, you have (correct me if I am wrong) three classes of diver.

1. DIR : Has all the bells and nobs for all situations and follows the rule book to the letter no matter who he/she trained with.

2. The pure recreation diver , who just goes for pleasure but knows these rules.

3. stroke: A total disreguard for him/her self and everyone a round them.

I thought that you would have your tec heads and every one else would fall in to the recreation side, not the stroke side, thats just not right. I have trained padi all the way, not long compleated my nitrox and have started to do my reck one. We are told buddys are always there never dive with out one, always go in pairs. so why do people still insist on going it alone after all we have been told. I will always follow the rule book, that is there to protect me and my buddy.

here is a stroke. a "weekend warrior" and possibly recenty certified "Resort" diver.

few MAJOR things wrong with this picture I think everyone will agree on.....

Last edited:
Agreed

Let's see....loose hoses, knife on outside of leg, integrated weights, gloves for grabbing onto coral....what, no bangstick?
Erik Y.
anything I missed?

HAHAHAHAHA - that's all I saw! (I must admit I do like integrated weights.... my one vice....)

but then again sidemounting with a weightbelt is annoying.

he needs one of those little pnumatics attached to the other leg...

Stroke, James Stroke.....

Good one!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT