• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Discovery Channel Special

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Tanya S

Feb 8, 2005
Greetings Freedivers

This is just a heads-up to let those of you in the USA know that, in case you are interested, The Discovery Channel will air an hour long special on our sport in prime time this week. "Freedive" will air at 8pm and 11pm EST this Thursday, February 10th. At last, this is a film that looks at an average Joe (almost literally) training for an international freediving competition. The background is quite simple - Joe Tufts took a clinic here in Austin, TX and, following a dive to around 20m and a static to about 4 minutes, he was hooked. A year later he asked if I wanted to help him compete. It was a great opportunity for us both, and we were thrilled that Discovery chose to make a film about our journey from Texas to Cyprus. Even though it's hard to forgive the creators for the none-too-imaginative title (Duh! :duh) we do, and we let slide the odd error and sensationalist comment from the narrator, because the film offers up some decent computer graphic imaging, and tells a pretty accurate story.

We hope you enjoy it! We did our best to represent our sport responsibly and favorably. It would be interesting to read your feedback on this forum, although I am quite sure it wont all be positive! :ko We were humble contributors, not writers or editors, and we were simply offering up our best!

More info in the news section of my website (www.redefineyourlimits.com), which I will update when I know the times/dates of future transmissions and when it will air in Europe.

Tanya Streeter :duh

I just finished watching and it was great.Got me wanting to do more training now.Can't wait for the rerun.

i just saw it a few hours ago and i must say i really liked it!:) At last i was able to show my girlfriend what freediving really was......now she doesnt think im insane :cool:

...........by the way Tanya, if you ever are in need of someone to help train, drop me a line...........:)

seriously though

yeah that def was good..i didnt read this before it was on so i was lucky my roommate called me in, since he knows im into it. Just a question i was wondering. What kind of physical condition was Joe in when he first too the clinic and what kind of stats what he able to do when he started out? And it def got me in the mood to train more!

Tanya
Thanks for the heads-up. Ever since the Cyprus report, I've been wondering who Joe Tuft was. Now I know a little about him and can identify with his efforts. Our sport will be better for the coverage. Funny thing, the foot/meter conversion bothered me more than extreme hype.
Aloha
Bill

will this be replayed...I just saw the last 10 minutes of the show and would really like to see the beginning

Inspirational, really enjoyed the program. Thanks for the heads up Tanya!

I had it on at the tail end of my son's birthday party and everyone in attendance ohhhh'd and ahhhh'd at the appropriate moments. :)

Can someone please put it on the net so I can see it?? I really wish to see it, but I dont have the channel anymore :(

Folks.

From a legal perspective I have to caution you against putting up copied versions of TV shows or DVD's. This is illegal and the TV, Film and Music industries are working hard at battling it.

Anyway - that's my legal rant over. Apologies but it has to be done!

Ahh, yes - sorry, I forgot. Better go further with private messages or mail.

I loved the show! I just happened to be channel surfing and came onto it, what luck. It was a great opportunity to give friends and family a bit of insight into freediving.
I liked the novel approach of using a new comer to the sport and showing the whole course from training to competition. Other programs have focused on the exceptional nature of the sport and perpetuate "the freak factor" and dangers involved with freediving. I think that the show gave freediving a more approachable feel. It also underlined the importance of safety without overemphasizing the dangers of the sport.
Thank you for your efforts Tanya and I volunteer to be your next disciple!

I went to dicoverychannel.com and maybe it's too soon to have any info about the show but nothing was available. They listed the times it aired last night but not when it would be relpayed.

Does anyone have an idea on when The Discovery Channel airs reruns? Maybe within a few weeks of the original air date? We have a DVR and I'd like to record the episode.

Thanks!

Just a quick FYI:

I confirmed that The Discovery Channel is airing a re-run of "Freediver" this Sunday at 2 pm EST.

Thanks for the info.

Have a great day!

Reactions: JMD
Is it going to air anywhere in Europe ? Checked the discovery channel schedule but nothing :-(

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT