• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dive buddy in Nor-Cal or travel

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Elqixhc

Jan 17, 2018
Hello U.S freedivers,

So glad this forum exists, I'm a level 2 PADI rookie, just got my cert in Indonesia a month ago, really miss being in the water sinced I been home, I live in San Leandro ,Nor-Cal, never been out diving in the States, also is 5mm suit warm enough for the water around? All advices and recommandations are welcome, also keen to take a dive trip in the States. Looking forward to hear from you!

Hey Megl55 its great to see another Bay Area freediver on this forum! There are a few of us you'll see on these boards, and I'm sure you'll meet more while out diving. Some things to be aware of, the Pacific gets pretty cold and dark. Especially if you dive out at Pacifica(which we do). Butterfly house down at Carmel has become one of my new favorite places to take a dip. Awesome kelp forests to swim around when its clear. Several of the people go with 5mm suit and they are good. Just personal preference I guess. I have a 7mm, that I wouldn't trade. Anyhow, we are always up for diving with like minded individuals. Send me a message if you're interested in getting on our distro. We tentatively have two dives planned for January. Talk soon!

Hey Megl55 its great to see another Bay Area freediver on this forum! There are a few of us you'll see on these boards, and I'm sure you'll meet more while out diving. Some things to be aware of, the Pacific gets pretty cold and dark. Especially if you dive out at Pacifica(which we do). Butterfly house down at Carmel has become one of my new favorite places to take a dip. Awesome kelp forests to swim around when its clear. Several of the people go with 5mm suit and they are good. Just personal preference I guess. I have a 7mm, that I wouldn't trade. Anyhow, we are always up for diving with like minded individuals. Send me a message if you're interested in getting on our distro. We tentatively have two dives planned for January. Talk soon!

HI@buckministerfuller, YES! Thank you for your respond! I can't wait to join you all, although diving in Pacifica sounds a bit crazy..haha, I work at San Mateo, so I'm quite familiar with the area, but kelp swim sounds fun! Never been to butterfly house at Carmel, let me know when you guys plan to head out, mean while I can get myself a 7mm suit before I join the crew. my email is meganxtli@gmail.com

I don't know much about scuba, but for freediving I prefer a 7mm farmer for nor Cal. I also go for 5 mil gloves and socks. It gets quite cold.

It's a very active dive community up here, with a ton of underwater life to visit. Welcome and best of luck.

Reactions: Elqixhc
I don't know much about scuba, but for freediving I prefer a 7mm farmer for nor Cal. I also go for 5 mil gloves and socks. It gets quite cold.

It's a very active dive community up here, with a ton of underwater life to visit. Welcome and best of luck.

Thanks for the message @Natural Selection, Yup, I'm buying a 7mil suit for sure, any recomandation of the brands? not that I'm picky, but a nice looking 7 mil suits is a bit challenge to find..also, I've never scuba, not a fan of the bubbles, hah

I got a full custom 7mm from polosub and it was way too hot. Full custom suits are way warmer and you can read the praise I’ve sung in other posts. They are the way to go!! Few hundred shipped from Rome.
So after boiling in the 7 I got a 5 full suit and 3 legs.
I last went to Carmel with a friend a few months ago and I dove in the 5 top and 3 legs and it was PERFECT. No gloves or booties either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The polosubs are nice. I have an Elios custom, also from Italy. It's the hi waist pants/jacket 7mil. For me it's freezing and I will likely spring for a custom 7 mil jacket/farmer.

If you plan on mostly kayak diving or boat diving, I might consider elios' custom smooth skin suit. You'll keep Much warmer without Jersey on the outside to hold water, which contributes to wind chill.

I got a full custom 7mm from polosub and it was way too hot. Full custom suits are way warmer and you can read the praise I’ve sung in other posts. They are the way to go!! Few hundred shipped from Rome.
So after boiling in the 7 I got a 5 full suit and 3 legs.
I last went to Carmel with a friend a few months ago and I dove in the 5 top and 3 legs and it was PERFECT. No gloves or booties either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hi,
I live about five minutes from San Leandro in Oakland and I'm just getting into cold water freediving (most of my experience is in Hawaii and the Bahamas.) I'd be down to buddy if you're interested. I just got a nice 7mm custom suit I need to try out. Hit me up anytime! Deb

Hi,
I live about five minutes from San Leandro in Oakland and I'm just getting into cold water freediving (most of my experience is in Hawaii and the Bahamas.) I'd be down to buddy if you're interested. I just got a nice 7mm custom suit I need to try out. Hit me up anytime! Deb

Hey Marecreture:), sorry for the late response! I just got my new wetsuit too, wanna go this weekend? let me know!

Megl! There are many popular places for diving in San Leandro. I have few suggestions for you. As there are many places for Dive in San Leandro like:
Bamboo Reef Scuba Diving
Anchor Shack
CaliDivers SCUBA Diving
Diving is a great activity for local and visitors. Yes, 5mm suit warm is perfect for the water activities. When You will free from trip then must share your experience.

Hi Meg. I live in palo alto. I head down to the monterey area to dive whenever the forecast allows it. If you ever see a forecast for the swell being 3 ft. or less, on a weekend. I am likely going diving. Sometimes I end up going alone (spearfishing, not diving too deep since i'm alone) if nobody else can go, so it would be good to have another buddy. direct message me if you want to exchange contact info.

Nice recommendation. I would love to visit some of the places mentioned above. I could travel there by driving but I have to replace my stock with toyo tires in order to make the long drive. I also need to gather some spare diving equipment when I get back.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT