• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dive Float

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Schnibbz

Jul 12, 2010
Got bored this summer during a week when Lake Michigan was getting pounded with east winds and started this fiberglass wrapped dive float. Just getting around to finishing it. I've ordered piano hinge for the lid and backpack straps. For hooking up an anchor line and stringer, I'm going to have pass through ss eyebolts, but don't know how to setup straps to hold 2 extra guns and fins for walking from the truck to the shore. Ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_0451.jpg
    IMG_0451.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_0466.jpg
    IMG_0466.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_0483.jpg
    IMG_0483.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_0499.jpg
    IMG_0499.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 231
Reactions: Mr. X
Cool :cool: One of my favourite pasttimes when I have time on my hand (which is becoming rare these days:() is trying to come up with the ultimate float design for my needs. I have to make one. I was about to start carving a prototype from wood and/or foam insulation board when I came to the conclusion I need an inflatable float because of the walk-ins I typically do (my current thinking is something like a long, v. slim RIB design).

Are you in the Woodstock NW of Crystal Lake, IL, near the Wisconsin border?

Schnibbz- You can fasten Velcro straps at the top and bottom on both sides of the float- to hold Guns. Not sure what to do about the Fins. Maybe a Mesh bag attached securely that the fins would fit into. Make sure it is well weighted in the bottom, so it doesn't tip/flip in the waves/wind. Looks very nice! Another thing you could sell.

Mr. X - yes, I live in Woodstock, IL, just NW of Crystal Lake.

Whopperhead - I've considered velcro loops, but don't like them that well on my current inflatable. I was thinking of using a loop of bungee with something like the handle of chainsaw pull start connected at the knot on the loop. I could then make a piece of stainless to apply pressure at the center point between the loop end and the handle to secure it to the float. Put one on each end, lay the gun in the middle, and run the handle through the center of the loop. As far as the fins go, I'm still lost, but I'm sure that I'll figure out something soon. The most important secondary function of the float is going to be to pack as much stuff down to the water, as I do lots of shore diving. I need to get going soon, I'd like to get paint on it and be ready to go for the end of March when Lake Geneva starts opening up.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT