• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Dive Shop Experience

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

New B

Jun 13, 2017
Hey Guys and Girls,
First post on the forum so if an admin could move this to the right place I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks :)

I have recently been offered a position at a dive shop just as a retail worker, however I am a relative beginner and don't know what to expect in this field.
I would great appreciate it if someone who has worked in this field might share their experience and possibly even give me some pointers. Anything will help.
Many thanks,
New B

Have you worked in retail before?
My feeling is, that all of it is the same. Have worked in three different "genres" and as soon as you have some general knowledge of the field and read up on some reasonable opinions the rest will come while doing the job.
Be(come) competent in answering customers questions, learn how to get them talking so you can recommend the best fitting product.

In general you will have a lot of people who know nothing or very little or wrong stuff, some that think they know everything but don't and the precious few who really know their stuff.

What are you supposed to sell?
Courses? No problem. Read up on the contents and the general outline of the courses of the certifying agency and you are good to go. The rest you can ask our look up on the spot.
Hardware? A little trickier but as soon as you know the best, worst and on intermediate products and why which is which you can start figuring out what to sell to whom.

Much bigger questions:
Do you want to sell/are you a sales person?
Does your boss want you to sell as hard as possible or can typy sell the best fitting product, even if it means less or even no profit?

Reactions: New B
Some very interesting pointers that I had not yet considered.
Thank you very much Zym!

When you said you are a relative beginner, I assumed that you meant a beginner at diving. If so, I'm concerned that you don't have enough experience to give good advice. You might be a great salesman but not sell the right stuff. Of course this is a common problem in retail in general and dive shops in particular, but sometime I cringe when I hear inappropriate advice and recommendations.

Reactions: Tim B.
When you said you are a relative beginner, I assumed that you meant a beginner at diving. If so, I'm concerned that you don't have enough experience to give good advice. You might be a great salesman but not sell the right stuff. Of course this is a common problem in retail in general and dive shops in particular, but sometime I cringe when I hear inappropriate advice and recommendations.
Sorry to disprove your assumption Bill, but I meant in selling a product. I really don't have experience working in the retail industry, let alone a dive store. :) . I guess you could say I'm not an expert at diving, but then again, who is?
Do you have any experience working in a dive store, if so I'd love to hear it.
Thanks,
New B

Sorry to disprove your assumption Bill, but I meant in selling a product. I really don't have experience working in the retail industry, let alone a dive store. :) . I guess you could say I'm not an expert at diving, but then again, who is?
Do you have any experience working in a dive store, if so I'd love to hear it.
Thanks,
New B
No. I've been a customer in dive stores for over 60 years so I'll say that I've seen a lot of salesmen but I've never been one.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT