• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Diving Bikini

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

BODKIN

Dec 14, 2005
The post(s) about the prices are fairly accurate; having said that, the trip is well worth the cost. Like a restaurant, if the experience is great, the cost is not material. I was fortunate to have the time and resources to spend two excellent weeks there in late September and early October of this year. All up the trip was on the order of $7,200. Would I do it again? Bet your bippee I would. My wife won't do deco diving, however, so the next trip is to Truk. We've been there several times, and the wreck diving is great. They do a shark dive, but I wouldn't go there just for that. Bikini also does a shark dive, but it largely depends on the weather. The sharks are way across the lagoon, and its more than an hour each way. We went the first week I was there, and did not on the second week. It also depends on what the majority wants to do with that particular day. If you're into green rocks and fish, the cost of Bikini is hard to justify. If you want to visit the most interesting wreck dives in this world, then Bikini is a must-see stop on the tour. The only frustration is the Marshall Air link to Bikini from Majuro. They have two airplanes, and connections depend on at least one of them being "up" when you need it.

have you been to palau? plenty of sharks there! 7,000 for two weeks sounds hardcore expensive. wow! but like you said, if you got out of it what you wanted, then the money isn't the issue.

I have not been to Palau yet, and just the opportunity to hang out with sharks would not motivate me to go. Sharks at Bikini and Truk (now Chuk...) are pretty much side shows. I go for the WWII wrecks and the associated sense of history. I probably won't go to Scapa Flow due to the temperature and average vis. I'd be interested in diving the U869 (U Who?), and I'd take a pass on the Andrea Doria...

wow! what about blue corner, big drop off, new drop off, blue holes and peleliu? german channel, ulong channel, siaes corner and ngemelus wall! these are the top dives in the world! and if you are into history, peleliu is one of the bloodiest battles in the history of war. it blows my mind that you would go to micronesia and not go diving in palau. i like truk(chuuk) and yap, but palau is heads and shoulders better, and not just because of the sharks. palau has everything!

Outside of a few landing craft, I was unaware of any significant wrecks at Palau. I also do not know of any live-aboards there that can compare with the Odyssey at Truk. Palau sounds more like a Thorfin destination, complete with kidney-busters out to the dive sites. If green rocks and fish do it for you, great; I'd rather spend my money elsewhere.

the odyssey is definitely an excellent operation, but Sam's is known as one of the top five operators in the world! and has been voted THE TOP OPERATOR IN THE WORLD several times. Sam's tours boats and staff are unmatched! what i like is a variety of diving. exciting high energy drift dives, excellent wall dives, muck/macro dives, large pelagics, deep high traffic wreck dives and gorgeous giant reef corals! you get all of those in palau. but you can't get all of those on truk, or yap. although i love truk and yap, i just can't imagine ignoring palau.

PS - you and i have some things in common. first we are both americans. second, we both were first certified in 1983. and lastly, i am a pilot, and assume by your interests, that you are also.

Last edited:
You paid way to much my friend. We have have many dive tours for a third of that and less. Sorry you got taken.

Come to Cayman Brac with us in the Summer!

Happy Diving

Cayman Brac can hardly be compared to Bikini. You get what you pay for, and I don't recall the name of the aircraft carrier sunk in diving range at Cayman Brac. What a cheezy post...

Scuba Brad said:
You paid way to much my friend. We have have many dive tours for a third of that and less. Sorry you got taken.

Please consider lightening up. Each to his own- some people could care less about looking at fish on a wall, and some like the 5* First Class treatment and are in a position where they don't need to worry about the $$. Plus getting to Bikini is not cheap compared to a flight to Caymans from the US.

Bad sales pitch in my opinion- you'd do better here by being pleasant.
Good luck,
Erik Y.

Reactions: Amphibious
"You paid way to much my friend. We have have many dive tours for a third of that and less. Sorry you got taken. Come to Cayman Brac with us in the Summer!" rofl rofl rofl

That's the funniest thing I've read on here in a while.

Obviously Scuba Jerm is just joking around with all of us- because no one would be stupid enough to believe that diving Bikini was the same as diving Cayman- unless they were a brand new diver who never looked at a map before.:t

If we followed that same logic I would have to say, "Don't waste your money on that overpriced trip to Cayman because you can dive for free in the holding pond in my backyard!"rofl

Nice as my holding pond is it still doesn't compare to Cayman; and nice as Cayman is still doesn't compare to Bikini.

Keep up funny posts!- It's going to be below zero again here today and I need something to cheer me up.:)

Diving in the holding pond is Free??? Okay, what's the catch? Do we have to pay somebody to chip away the ice cover?? Rent your chainsaw? Too cold for alligators, but do we have to worry about giant, diver eating catfish? Does the state require a fishing license??

Last edited:
I have to agree with PORSC - his enthusiam says it well. Palau is the most exciting diving I have done anywhere. I have not seen such an incredible parade of large pelagic fish in such dramatic underwater scenery with such ridiculously long visibility (25m+). Yes there is muck diving too which I found facinating, despite not really being interested in critters. And there is the Great Hammerhead which is seen from time to time at the crack of dawn when it is swimming back out to see from the reefs. The guides on the Big Blue Explorer were happy to get us up before 5am for dawn dive just to see this shark (alas we missed it but other dive boats were succesful!). I also dove the Japanese wrecks of which there are an enormous amount but they paled in comparison to the intensity of ocean-roaming life charging up and down the reefs and drop offs in this most extraordinary place. Well worth the money and well worth the total hassle of getting there.

In case anyone is interested, I booked through a really well run agency called Diversion dive travel (www.diversionoz.com) and the boat was called the Big Blue Explorer. A very large well-equipped cruiser - access to the dive sites is via ribs which is preferable as they are more manoeuverable etc.

Best

Tbird.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT