• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Diving career

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ayll38

Dec 11, 2003
What type of careers are there for technical divers? And how does one get into such careers?

Hi,

That's a fairly general question. But a few ideas are:-
Technical Diving Instructor
Safety Work
Journalist work
Research/Archaeological Work

As for getting into them, you need experince I would say for all areas. Perhaps also with other skills as well as diving.
Some of these things become more tricky in the UK because of the HSE involvement.

Is it something you want to do?

Kind Regards
Jeannette

Thanks.

Hmmm, not many choices. What makes it worse is I'm in the IT field right now, and its not quite related to any of those fields.

Well, what do you like doing? Probably noone will pay you to just go diving - believe me I tried. But also, remember there is no money to be made in diving. Particularly in the UK.

The media stuff is quite interesting, perhaps assisting in underwater filming or learning photography. For instance, if you can take video/stills in the tech diving area people may be interested in what you do, because not many people have the skills.

It is tough - it's a lifestyle more than anything for most people.

See you!
Jeannette

About the only way to make money diving in the UK is to a) work for a dive center as an instructor, but theres lots of competition. Or b) make the investment and go into commercial diving. Trouble with option B is that its risky, and although there are jobs there at the moment, they all want people with a lot of qualifications and experiance. Good luck with your hunt though.

I guess I'm interested in safety support kind of work. I don't think I can teach as a career.

What kind of things do commercial diving do? Wreck recoveries, search and rescue? What do you mean by investment? Time, start up company, or experience?

Commercial diving covers many areas, mainly if you get paid for performing a task underwater that is not recreational, then it is commercial diving. It encompasses things such as cutting, welding, cleaning, taking seabed samples and yes, occasionally we get to raise boats from the sea bed. Saftey work mainly takes place in the middle of the ocean working on gas and oil installations. The money is great, the work is not. Lots of boredom, being cold and generally uncomfortable. As a safety diver, I can be suited and ready to go into the water for 6 hours at a time. That means in a dry suit, standing around on the boat ready to hit the water at a moments notice. The cost of the courses, well, if you have a few thousand pounds then your good. The basic scuba course for commercial divers is just under 2000 pounds and trains you to cmas *** / divemaster with efr training. It teaches comms and full face diving and a whole load of other things. More info on the course can be found at www.puffin.org on the HSE training pages.

Good luck with your future. Happy bubbles.

Peter

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT