• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

diving fort lauderdale

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

thin_air

Alphabet
Sep 15, 2001
hey andrsn

i will probably be there for 10 days during march (2nd or 3rd week)

to bad im not old enough to go to bars though i am willing to sneak in....

i will also be with my family my parent will probably not freedive althought my dad is probably not that bad, they will probably be scuba diving

i might also be going down at the end of this month during exam week (i only have 1 exam the whole week so i get the rest of the time off)

vince

anderson,
i dont know what the legal age is in florida but im fifteen so that makes me 3-5 years illegal..

well i have the date, im gonna be in florida from march 10th to the 20th.
i guess i might spend all of my time in the water since ive never seen a mermaid before. :) :D

oh and i am also interested in how the suit fits ect. since im still growing i was looking at the or maybe if i just stop eating fruits and veggies i will stop growing :head :head ;) rofl

hope you can make it down during those days.

Last edited:
Keys?

Hi,

Where will you be staying? Florida is awesome diving! If you want to hook-up with someone you need to be more specific, Fla. is a big place.

Only a little green,

FD48

advice..

vince,

i'm going to be down the 26th to the 1st of april. have fun on your trip, but be careful.

if you're going to hop in the water from the beaches, make sure you have someone w/ you and your dive flag is clearly visible. there are alot of boaters that buzz the coast and they could care less about divers. i've had some close calls out there.

also, if you're looking for a decent beach dive area, tell your parents to take you to 'lauderdale by the sea'. it's north lauderdale, directly off commercial blvd. there's a pier there, but the boat traffic is minimal and the 1st reef is probably the best bit of 1st reef lauderdale has. just pray for visibility. ;) plus, your parents might enjoy the land area.

also, if you're really good w/ talking your parents into things, convice them to take a drive down to key largo. there you can take a snorkeling trip to the reefs of John Pennecamp. you can get a pretty good deal this time of year on the dive boats.

later,
anderson

thanks andrsn

i will check it out..
some people have told us about commercial pier and that it was a good area.
when i go its usually from our hotel thats about a hlf mile south of commercial pier we can easily see it from teh beach. anyway we usually go to the first line of coral and, yes, we do have a dive flag. we keep at my gramps winter house. and yes we have been buzzed by boaters even with the flag.

anyway, how far is the second line of coral, we swam out about a 1/2 mile and never found it?

thanks

2nd reef

diving lauderdale

the 2nd reef varies in distance from the shore. i think it's a little closer in north of the pier. but i don't think it's that much more from where you'd be going. you could even just swim straight out and drift north. just stay away from the pier. those guys can chuck those lead weights a mile :D

what a great spot to be anchored at! you don't need to go any where! try to opt for morning dives when boat traffic is minimal. you'll probably have to get out before lunchtime on the weekends. :blackeye

later vince,
anderson

sorry about that.. commercial is to the south of us (i looked it up just to make sure) there is a pier to the north of us, dont know the name thought.

anyway, for all of those that dont know. ft Lauderdale (were im gonna be) is 20 miles to the north of Miami
if you live near there feel free to contact me, i would be interested in doing some diving, (i am quite a begginer though)

thanks

PIERS...

pompano pier is north of you. there's also a pier where commercial hits the beach. that's where they have ocean fest every year where monsieur jean michelle coustou makes an appearance. :) try to get out on one of the piers at night and look down around where the surf is breaking(if any; actually about 20-30m from the beach) and look for the snook running in and out after baitfish. that's a real cool sight to see :D

anyways, you should still have no problem finding plenty of critters to look at. one cool thing is to smash a sea urchin w/ a rock and watch all the fish come in to feed. there's also a few lobsters under some of those little ledges.

it'll seem like a hike to get out to the 2nd reef. the only problem is that you're at the current's mercy once you're out there. just be careful.

later vince,
anderson

thanks,

on the first reef where we go the only thing to see is the fire coral and some normal reef fish. not much else (ie no urchins or any crustations(sp))

how deep is the second reef? we were thinking of renting a kayak
and paddling out there. if its not to deep for my dad.

when you lived there did you usually go to the 2nd or 3rd reef?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT