• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

diving from fishing kayak

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

wildranger

Oct 19, 2008
need to chat to someone preferably in west country but anyone will do who spearfishes off a kayack thats devon cornwall

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: diveing from fishing kayack

Hi wildranger, there's a few people on here that dive from their yaks and are in your locale, sure you'll get some info; there's also a few of us on th eGuernsey thread that use the yak, go on - give us an idea wassup...?

thanks for reply i am very new at this so new in fact the only equipment i have is a mask,i have done some snorkeling in mozampique but looking foward to going out in english waters brrrrrr .

Hi, welcome Wildranger! Several of the spearos kayak dive, it seems to be especially popular in Devon - Pav, Jez & others helped me out when I first got interested in yaks. ScottWilson, JamesT too, and Portinfer & pos. Magpie in Guernsey too. Allan B has made several good posts with kayak images, and apparently he lives in your area, Somerset, too
e.g.
http://forums.deeperblue.com/devon/69385-south-devon-report-2007-a.html#post627738
http://forums.deeperblue.com/hunting-equipment/65152-rigging-sit-kayak-spearfishing.html

I still haven't got round to diving from my yak - I do one activity or the other, otherwise there is just too much gear to deal with (I have a 2 seater yak). Probably easier if there are two or more of you. A kayak trolley is a worthwhile investment/DIY project.

Are you planning to spear fish? If so, I'd suggest doing each activity separately at first, to get used to dealing with the equipment.

I started this thread when I first started looking into it, it's grown quite long now: http://forums.deeperblue.com/hunting-equipment/65152-rigging-sit-kayak-spearfishing.html

Don't worry about the cold, get a 5mm open-cell spearo wetsuit and you should be fine.

Reactions: Pav

Are you planning to spear fish? If so, I'd suggest doing each activity separately at first, to get used to dealing with the equipment.

Spot on.

Diving from the kayak is easy enough, as long as you're well organised, BUT I'd get used to shore diving first, lots to think about when you start, you don't need to worry about where your Yak has got to as well!

I have dived off my yak once, its just a sit on top with a hatch in the back. The bloke I dived with has done it a few times and is suitably organised, he gets all his gear on on the beach, fins and all, has his mask round his neck and paddles out. He then uses his yak as his float and recons it towes easier than his regualr float, not sure what type it is? The hatch is good for storage of gear and fish, though it can be hard getting stuff out of the hatch once out on the water. I got an anchor but will start towing mine behind me too, means 2 less things to worry about - no float needed and your yak is no more than 20m away.

Reactions: Mr. X
Yaks are great for diving in current, coz you drift, then hop back in and paddle back, and then fall out and drift and repeat the cycle. Keeps ya fit too

Yaks are great for diving in current, coz you drift, then hop back in and paddle back, and then fall out and drift and repeat the cycle. Keeps ya fit too

Works great if the surface current ( and/or wind ) is the same speed as the current on the bottem , otherwise ...:waterwork

well you tether your kayak to you with your float line, I'm not about to roll out and let it get sucked out the heads of port phillip bay.

Reactions: devondave
well you tether your kayak to you with your float line, I'm not about to roll out and let it get sucked out the heads of port phillip bay.

Sorry newbie , never thought of that , please ignore previous stupid post .
I fish in currents with the kayak anchored and a long line trailing behind , swim to the line and pull back to the kayak , however I do like drift diving , so might give your way a go .

Reactions: Newbie_spearo
pm sent.
feel free to pop up my way closer to the summer when our viz is better. Yak and spear.

Reactions: Mr. X
The drift diving helps with fitness too when you have to paddle back, but I got the tides royally wrong on Saturday and instead of drifting from one spot to the scallop beds and then having the tides change we drifted in the yaks to the scallops got a feed and then realised the tide was still coming in and wasn't about to change, so at 5pm we began the 2.5km paddle back to the car against a current running at about 3 knots give or take 1/2 a knot. lets just say it was a long paddle and we got back in the dark approximately an hour later. Good fun though haha, but we'll certainly be on our game next time, either that or I'll be paddling with someone else, rofl.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT